Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any one using progressive springs or heavier than stock springs

in their CX500?

Another question, is the CX500C spring the same as CX500D springs?

Talked to Progressive Spring today and they have springs for the CX500C and CX500 Standard in their records.

Progressive says the CX500 Standard spring is heavier than the CX500C spring. They have 35 over 50 for the Standard or a lighter spring, 35 over 40 for the CX500C.

Would like to run heavy springs for mountain twisty riding. My stock

springs are toast. Looks like they have 2" of stroke left while sitting

on the bike and I only weigh 215lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROG...7056383QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is any one using progressive springs or heavier than stock springs

in their CX500?

Another question, is the CX500C spring the same as CX500D springs?

Talked to Progressive Spring today and they have springs for the CX500C and CX500 Standard in their records.

Progressive says the CX500 Standard spring is heavier than the CX500C spring. They have 35 over 50 for the Standard or a lighter spring, 35 over 40 for the CX500C.

Would like to run heavy springs for mountain twisty riding. My stock

springs are toast. Looks like they have 2" of stroke left while sitting

on the bike and I only weigh 215lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Thanks,

hi i had the same problem as you have and i removed the extencion spring as you see at top of the fork and replace that with other spring with the same diameter but longer about 1.5 cm and that works for me fine.So if you want a harder springs i gess you have to make your adjustements with the extension springs,

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi i had the same problem as you have and i removed the extencion spring as you see at top of the fork and replace that with other spring with the same diameter but longer about 1.5 cm and that works for me fine.So if you want a harder springs i gess you have to make your adjustements with the extension springs,

OK, Have not had it apart yet, but have this link to the fork breakdown and understand what you are talking about.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1980&fveh=3403

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've also heard that for sport riding you're actually better with a constant rate spring than a progressive rate. The ride will be a little rougher, but the response and handling is more predictable.

Personally, I'll probably end up going with Race Tech if I don't swap front ends.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've also heard that for sport riding you're actually better with a constant rate spring than a progressive rate. The ride will be a little rougher, but the response and handling is more predictable.

Personally, I'll probably end up going with Race Tech if I don't swap front ends.

I do OK with stock springs in the Vstrom riding twistys

at a fun pace, but it is an 08. Kneeslider had an good

idea using 1.5CM longer springs for the upper spring.

Called RaceTech today, but the tech guy was not in. Will post

how the bike handles on twistys when I set it up with the final wet weight.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
When springs are dead they are dead and there's no mending them. Progressives are ok but I still run a 1 inch preload spacer and it's still a hair soft.

Just make sure you get the right ones and they have had some fun mishaps and put the wrong springs in the right box and they won't fit.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When springs are dead they are dead and there's no mending them. Progressives are ok but I still run a 1 inch preload spacer and it's still a hair soft.

Just make sure you get the right ones and they have had some fun mishaps and put the wrong springs in the right box and they won't fit.

Appreciate the info! Have plenty to work with now!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you want springs with the exact load range and spring weight for your weight, call Race Tech.

Whether or not you want to add emulators to your front shocks, they also carry thousands of fork spring applications.

Ask for Matt (Vintage street God) 951-279-6655 ext. 108

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want springs with the exact load range and spring weight for your weight, call Race Tech.

Whether or not you want to add emulators to your front shocks, they also carry thousands of fork spring applications.

Timothy,

Making CX side panels & radiator bracket today. Was thinking about

calling Progressive Spring again, but would probably have to match

some off the shelf springs. When I remove the springs will call

Matt and find springs for my application. Wanted to have

firm springs for mountain twisty riding. Will give feedback on

my setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts

So, forgive my newbieness, but what exactly are cartridge emulators, and what do they do?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Matt will know what you need.

But as to Progressive springs, I have had a set on my GL500. worked Very well. loved them.

For you, I would get the 35-50 set. that will ramp you up a bit faster in the range for the same suspension movement.

If you get a custom wind set, they can set almost any rate you want and tailor it for the type of riding and amount of suspension throw you have. usually within a few $ of pre-made.

If I remember right anyway.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt will know what you need.

But as to Progressive springs, I have had a set on my GL500. worked Very well. loved them.

For you, I would get the 35-50 set. that will ramp you up a bit faster in the range for the same suspension movement.

If you get a custom wind set, they can set almost any rate you want and tailor it for the type of riding and amount of suspension throw you have. usually within a few $ of pre-made.

If I remember right anyway.

Will probably be working on springs after next week. Need to

mount/install battery, electrics, new handle bars, controls,

new cables, and rebuild front caliper.

Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
First you should measure your SAG. I think it's supposed to be 33mm with rider, 15/20mm free sag (without rider), someone will chime in with the exact number any minute? The easy way to do the front is with a zip tie on the fork tube. Push the tie to the dust seal and raise the bike off the ground and measure the gap. This is from some tuning sheets I have from "Traxxion Dynamics" You can try adding preload if you are finding greater sag than 33mm. If your numbers are outside of what is prescribed then you may need new springs?

Two cents.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First you should measure your SAG. I think it's supposed to be 33mm with rider, 15/20mm free sag (without rider), someone will chime in with the exact number any minute? The easy way to do the front is with a zip tie on the fork tube. Push the tie to the dust seal and raise the bike off the ground and measure the gap. This is from some tuning sheets I have from "Traxxion Dynamics" You can try adding preload if you are finding greater sag than 33mm. If your numbers are outside of what is prescribed then you may need new springs?

Two cents.

Cheers, 50gary

Gary,

The springs looks like they only have 2" of travel left when I sit

on the bike. I weigh in @ 215LBS. They are very soft, probably original.

Will check sag and really appreciate the help from everyone!

Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.