Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experianced a less than desireable or preferred brand of fork seals. I just replaced the fork seals in my 70 custom. Still have leaking seals. Well maybe I messed them up installing them. Not my frist set and both? I have another set of forks I will take down tomorrow and rebuild can clean and polish up the sliders while I await new seals. Any recommdations for any type or brand?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have used Total Seal fork seals with success on my cm400.

I used Pyramid brand seals (cheap) on my CX which leak, however I'm almost completely sure they failed due to using Ford ATF in a homemade fork oil concoction. (Ford ATF was the only transmission fluid available locally at the time and I risked the fact that it eats certain types of seals.)

Another possibility....

Seals installed upside down will leak.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Has anyone experianced a less than desireable or preferred brand of fork seals. I just replaced the fork seals in my 70 custom. Still have leaking seals. Well maybe I messed them up installing them. Not my frist set and both? I have another set of forks I will take down tomorrow and rebuild can clean and polish up the sliders while I await new seals. Any recommdations for any type or brand?
for the smallextra cost i went with honda[so say]origional seals.they have been great.

make sure you fit them the correct way around.

use your old seals as a protective cushion,on top of the new ones.so you only put pressure on the old seal.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've had cheap no name seals go.Last one I did a few weeks ago was from a trusted supplier.

I have not used the fork seals from Georgefix but I've had no bad parts off him,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CJ36...1748222QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

His kits included new dust boots as well which makes them a really good deal.

See Bandit's tip about using the old seal on top of the new one and also smear some grease,as per the manual,around the top of the seal once fitted.This helps stop the locking ring corrode and the top of the seal drying out.

HTH

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I *think* I used Pyramid's in mine, hasn't been on the road long enough yet to know if they're going to leak.

If you scratched up the tubes even in the slightest that can cause them to leak over time, same thing if forced on or upside down as mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I used a set of pyramid and after 1 year 1 side failed. This is another area where I only use honda seals.

I have used two sets of aftermarket seals and they both leaked under a year under low mileage. I have used 2 sets of honda and they have never leaked.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put a pair of Leak Proof Pro Moly Fork Seal from Dennis Kirk in mine - they lasted 2 years before I had a leak. They do come with a lifetime warranty for your first set, so I did get a replacement pair. I ended up going back to a set of Honda's. I agree with 'stich, get a pair of originals.

~Thom

·
Registered
66 Posts
I second what a few said - stick with the Honda's. My local shop has the Honda originals for less than I paid for some online. I think they were the "leak proof Moly" seals mentioned above, and they sure leaked within about 3 months. I checked twice, and everything was put on right side up, but they still had problems. That bike has had Honda seals for nearly 2 years now with no trouble. Just putting Honda seals in my 81 as well.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
One of the brands that has not given me any problem so far is,"Kyoto" which are a Japanese brand supplied by one of my trusted suppliers,"Wemoto",

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

I have also had no problems with this brand's wheel bearings.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I bought mine from TAS, I think they may be Pyramid but not sure. Only had them on for about a month or so and can't speak about their longevity, so far so good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts