Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im about to change the fork seals on my CX with my father, and being a mechanical retard I have a few questions.

Can anyone give me a list of all the tools/ect needed to do this job?

Also, I have seen a few threads about putting in spacers to stiffen up the suspension. My question is, where do you put this spacer? at the bottom, the top, or inbetween the springs? I know its a stupid question but any help is great!

thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
So im about to change the fork seals on my CX with my father, and being a mechanical retard I have a few questions.

Also, I have seen a few threads about putting in spacers to stiffen up the suspension. My question is, where do you put this spacer? at the bottom, the top, or inbetween the springs? I know its a stupid question but any help is great!

thanks,

Dave
hi Dave,and a warm welcome from spain.

no special tools required[hopefully.]

Dave,first things first.............

update your signiture line,include your bikes details,year and model.plus your location.

so,ill guess....

circlip pliers

6mm allen key

they,at the moment the only special tools.

the spacer goes on top.use plastic water pipe.dont throw your old seals away.use them as a cushion over the top of your new seals.do one fork at a time.you then have a ref.if you get mixed up.

help.....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/replace_fork_seals/index.html

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=551

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=533

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome to the group Dave.  This is still fresh in my mind as I just did the same thing this past weekend.  The only "special" tool you may need is a stout, long lever to pry out the old seals, and BE CAREFUL!.  I managed to gouge the inside of the slider while removing the old, but it's been 3 days of riding now and no leaks so I think I'm still good and oil tight.  You'll also need something to drive the new seals into the fork square, I took a micro-caliper and measured the inner and out seals and also measured how tall the upper fork was, and then went to homedepot and bought a $2 piece of pvc pipe that fit those measurements.  I then reassembled the forks lowers, slid the oil seal over the upper and set the upper and lower into position, slid the pvc pipe over the upper and drove the oil seal home.  As for the spacer, if you still have the OEM springs you'll probably find it easiest to position the spacer between the lower, long spring and the short upper spring.  Either that or on top of the whole assembly.

Bandit, I wish I'd thought of using the old as a cushion for the new.  It worked out for me but I was wicked worried about damaging the new seals and if I'd used your method I wouldn't have had any worry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of starting a new thread, I have another question. It seems that my front fender and my tire are rubbing. Anyone have an idea about what causes this, and can I ride without a front fender in NY?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
You may have to oval out the securing holes so you can raise the fender a bit.I had it on a pattern fender on one of my CX.You do NOT want to ride without the fender as it also acts as a steering brace to the forks.Plastic front fenders,when fitted,should have a metal bracket under the middle of the fender as a support as did one of my CX500s.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

thanks,

Dave

You really made me laugh there dave. I know exactly how you feel, as I feel mechanically retarded as well. I have done a few fork seal changes on our GLs and it is much easier than it looks. I have found that the more work I do on the bikes, the more confident I become. If you are not sure about something, just ask here and someone will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.