Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,
I replaced my fork seals two weeks ago with the 4 into 1 brand seals. Those seals were insanely tight going on. They leaked out after 2 days. Replaced the seals last week with K&S seals from a local shop. I put superglue in the pits. The pits aren’t that big. They still leaked out after the first ride. What am I doing wrong? Are the pits the problem? Very frustrated with these forks.

Filled with atf and 15psi of air.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok everyone, this is getting frustrating, but I think I’m finding the issue. Apparently, the shop I ordered the seals from did not spec an 81cx500c. The size I got were 33mmx46mm. Partzilla shows that I need 35mmx48mm. 🤬
That explains why the seals were insanely tight going on.

I think I found the issue, fml.
Good news is, I’ve gotten quick at removing and installing those forks 🙃
Plant Human body Wood Font Fashion accessory

Font Line Parallel Circle Rectangle

Font Line Automotive tire Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Wow, I’m impressed you were able to install 33mm seals on 35mm tubes! No sarcasm intended.

Reactions: JTMoney

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I’m impressed you were able to install 33mm seals on 35mm tubes! No sarcasm intended.
So the 4into1 seals were tighter than the k&s and I had to use a wood peice to pry it on. And the second round of fork seals I noticed they didn’t seal to the outer tube, was wondering how they’d seal in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
If it leaked on your brake caliper make sure you either replace the pads or bake the oil off of them (place on non flammable surface and heat them with a blowtorch until they start to smoke, then cool naturally; check that the friction material hasn't delaminated from the steel backing before using)

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it leaked on your brake caliper make sure you either replace the pads or bake the oil off of them (place on non flammable surface and heat them with a blowtorch until they start to smoke, then cool naturally; check that the friction material hasn't delaminated from the steel backing before using)
Thank you for the tip

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Glad you finally got it sorted, sorry you had to go through all the hassle 3x. As a side note to measurements, you may want to invest in a set of dial/digital calipers to check the sizes of items for reference. The FSM many times will give wear limits on parts so they will come in handy for other maintenance tasks as well.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
On your note of slider bushings. In my ignorance, I proudly scrubbed them to a shiny copper when I rebuilt my forks. I now realize the black that I scrubbed off was not wear, but rather a coating. I've since bought new bushings, but have not installed them as of yet. How urgent of a matter is this?
I'm planning on cutting the fork springs soon, and installing spacers to help lower my forks by a few inches. I figured I'd to everything all at once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts