Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depending on how much the rider weighs, I use 20w Belray oil, and a 3/4" to 1" PVC spacer.
To add the oil, fill it up most of the way and work the fork up and down slowly and let it sit till you see no more air bubbles. Then compress the fork all the way down, and measure from the top of the chrome tube down to the level of the oil. 5" for heavy riders, 5 1/2" for lighter riders. When the level is set, extend the fork and install the long spring first with the tight winding coils at the bottom, then the washer, followed by the PVC spacer and top short spring. Cap it off and your ready to go.

BTW, I'm about 205#s and set mine at 5" and 1" spacer.
I have a cx500d and the insides are nothing like these. Is there still a way to eliminate the air part?

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK, I get ya. Sorry. Hope this makes it clearer.

When the oil level is set,
Extend the fork and install the long spring first with the tight winding coils at the bottom,
Then the washer,
Then the PVC spacer,
Then the short spring.
Now you can cap it off.
I do not have 2 springs in mine

·
Super Moderator
13,796 Posts
Go to any local Honda dealer's website in Canada or the US, find the parts lookup, look for your model and model year and look at the drawing for the forks.

And speaking of your bike's model and model year, you still haven't added that information to your signature and added your location to your profile (see Forum Settings link in my signature)

·
Super Moderator
3,774 Posts
41 - 50 of 50 Posts