Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 Suzuki V-strom 650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of my 78 CX500 i want to go and tackle a bunch of tasks. Being one of them is changing the fork oil to a heavier weight. I also want to put some fork protectors on.
The seals and fork tubes are in good condition.

So my question is, is it possible to change the fork oil without disasembling them by removing the forks and pumping out the oil?

Daan

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
There's no drain plug on the '78 fork. You'll need to remove the cap, remove the tube from the steering yoke, and invert the tube to drain the oil.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 Suzuki V-strom 650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright sir, thanks for the answer! I was already thinking of doing that, but was wondering if it was do able like that.
Glad a don't have to pull the forks completely apart.

·
Premium Member
12,480 Posts
You might want to, depending on how dirty the oil is.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If the oil is really dirty you could drain it then flush with kerosine , giving the whole assembly a vigorous shaking to really free up the crud.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add drain screws to them while they are apart so you can change the fluid without disassembling them the next time. The drain screws are usually just regular Mg screws with crush washers (either aluminum or copper) to seal them. The hardest part (if you don't have access to a milling machine) would be getting the area under the screw head flat and that would only require some patient work with a flat file.

·
Premium Member
12,480 Posts
I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add drain screws to them while they are apart so you can change the fluid without disassembling them the next time.
As infrequently as these need service, I don't think it would be worth the extra effort (and risk).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
As infrequently as these need service, I don't think it would be worth the extra effort (and risk).
There are many different opinions on the frequency of oil changes. On the BMW Airhead forum most of the respected and known experts say it is an annual job. I don’t necessarily subscribe to the idea that it should be done that often but I do believe it should be changed more often than most people get around to changing it (it gets changed when replacing a blown seal). If there were drain screws installed more people would probably actually change the fork oil as maintenance rather than only when fixing it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Sometimes where there is no drain plug, some riders do a flush with forks removed as outlined.
Subsequent changes/or "playing" with fork oil viscosity are done by extracting old oil with an airline/vacuum line from the top (fork caps removed) with forks insitu....haven't tried this on the CX myself....

·
Premium Member
12,480 Posts
Last time I did it the oil was undoubtably original and 40 years old, and was a thick gray disgusting sludge.
Then it was about due. ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Last time I did it the oil was undoubtably original and 40 years old, and was a thick gray disgusting sludge.
and smelled like roses i'm sure... :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.