Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a CX500 80' which had already had some work done on it. I am in the process of designing the bike and i would like some help determining which donor forks would best suit my design. I am looking for shorter length fork than the stock CX500 forks to match the already lowered back end (well in reality i would really like to get a whole new front end off a more modern bike 600rr or something...

I just have a few questions:

* which bike would provide a good, modern and cheap donor front end that would lower the front end of my bike?
* which bike would provide a front end that would need the least modifications done to it to fit my cx500?
* what should i be careful of?

another design element i want to tackle is 'lowering and leveling out' my tank to make the base of the tank run more parallel to the road, is this possible? and how would i manage to do it? is there some way to alter the underside of the tank or the mounts?

I have attached a photo of the current bike and the mock up design for you reference.
12669299_10153920517734859_1175950774_o.jpg first concept.jpg
P.s this is my first post and first CX500, I cant wait to get started.

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry, but I make a "sad" welcome.

Because You will get a Darwin Award for the mounting of the front fork.
Like this the fork can not work as it should.

I know for sure other members will write more exactly what I mean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry, but I make a "sad" welcome.

Because You will get a Darwin Award for the mounting of the front fork.
Like this the fork can not work as it should.

I know for sure other members will write more exactly what I mean
Hi Guelli02,

I appreciate your response. I am aware that if i were to break heavily the front wheel would end up halfway in my radiator, but this is just a rough drawing that i did up tonight.

As I stated, im looking for some general help in finding a new front set that could get me close to this but obviously it doesnt have to be exact.

Im new to building bikes and CX500, so any help i can get is great.

do you know anything about tank modifications?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do know that the front of the tank can be lowered
Thank you for your comment granlund1

how would i go about this? are there any tutorials or anything?

Yeah like you said, I dont want to raise the rear cause if the petcock and ill also lose the lines.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
Have you considered the effect of lowering the front end on the handling of the bike? What about the effect on the drive shaft angle?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Personally, I would start by raising the rear up to stock specs and go from there. Probably just going back to the OEM length shocks will balance things out. If you go to the link in my signature, you can get an idea of how I approached it (there are two builds in there, I am referencing the second [Green] build).

Not trying to sell you a bill of goods, but I have a set of CB750F forks, minus the triples that will allow you to run dual discs and save you $$$ over the sport bike front end. Believe me, I am currently living that mix and match nightmare with an '88 Hawk GT647. You would need to find a pre '79 dual disc front wheel, but they are out there (it's that 18-in rear that's rare). We machined 1.25 off the stantion length added Progressive springs, oil and viola! The bike is very stable and I think it has that 'balanced' look you're after.

Best of luck...

-tom

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,408 Posts
Have you ridden it, yet? Before making major changes, get a feel for the bike. If you're just building for the "look", no one will see it parked in your garage because you can't tolerate riding it.

R

P.S. Welcome to the forum, btw.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,408 Posts
Have you considered the effect of lowering the front end on the handling of the bike? What about the effect on the drive shaft angle?
At rest, the shaft isn't even at level yet. With a good, stiff spring, it shouldn't go much above.

With the front dropped so far, though, handling will be ugly.

R

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If you lower the front of your tank you will have the same issues as if you raised the rear. If losing "useable fuel" is an acceptable option then have at it.
There are no tutorials that I'm aware of.
I think welding on a tab on the back of the tank to raise it would be easier than trying to relocate the mounting rubbers for the front.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
randal i love your question

"have you ridden it yet"

answer NO or the first bump would be a race to toss him off the seat due to the rear wheel hitting the seat bottom with no safety stop

or the front end bottoming and ripping the handlebars out of his hands

to the poster

there are design and safety constraints you cant do everything the way and heights you want to and survive

i am glad your bike is not running yet

there is still a chance for you

welcome to the place that can help you to live and enjoy your bike

have you taken the Motorcycle safety course yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi thank you for your post.

by lowering the front end to match the rear i thought it would lower the center of gravity of the bike and increase the stability (I could be wrong and i probably am). I also thought that this would straighten the drive shaft, as i know that due to the differing angle causes problems.

Is there any alternative solution?

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
If the swing arm were level with the bike empty, the weight of a rider would compress the suspension and the swing arm angle would be above level. If it starts just below level, depending on the spring and preload, it will be more or less level in use.

If you use shocks so short that the swing arm angle starts out negative, it'll only get worse.

R

1 - 17 of 17 Posts