Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be controversial, but I've had this discussion a couple of times and get varying answers. What's the largest fork size for this bike? 33mm for my 80 cx500c is stock I believe. I have an 81 Seka parts bike with dual brakes for free sitting at a friends house, they're 36mm. Anyone have thoughts, ideas on execution, etc? Like I said, I've done some research and spoke with a couple of motorcycle junkies/enthusiasts in regards and i'm getting it can be done, it can't be done, and it can be done with quite a heart ache...If this is a dumb post just tell me so and I'll go clean my engine more.=)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
First the best way to get the easiest answer is to remove as many parts that complicated things. In the end the front end is nothing held on by one bolt at the triple.

Your fastest answer with less headache is take the whole front end from the other bike and put it on yours. Triple, forks, lowers, wheel, axle, discs you name it.

That's how it's done.

We have guys putting vintage cb front ends on these bikes or the most modern sports bikes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bought and fitted a complete Suzuki GS650 front end for mine. Only had to get different bearings to make it a direct swap. Now I have Air assist forks with a much stronger front brake.

·
Registered
192 Posts
All balls bearings have a chart with all of the inner and outer bearing diameters for most bikes of any vintage. Look at their chart and see if the conversion is possible with some of their bearings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info! I have the entire front end to take off, my concern was more of the weight/bearing fit. I'll be evaluating the situation soon with eyes on the bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was looking at getting the frame and title and the complete one to mod, what do you know about the complete one? engine wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts