Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sort of asked the question in another post...how do you guys realign the front end after rebuilding the forks and repacking the headset? (thanks to those who have already responded!)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't understand the concern. The headset only goes in one hole with set angles. The fork legs go in the already installed triple, and the front wheel clamps in the bottom the forks assuring they are facing correctly. The internals of the forks are held by mechanical tolerances and the bottom half of the fork does not care what its rotational relationship is to the top half and vice versa.

G

·
Personally what I do is put the bike on the center stand.

Make sure the tubes are flush(even) with the top section of the triple.

Loosen up the lower clamps on the lower section of the triple,fender bolts,axle clamps.

Tighten up the center stem to seat the bearings,to the correct specs if available.

Tighten up the center top nut.

Take the bike off the center stand and bounce the front end up and down,roll it forward,and hit the brake several times..(note do this while sitting on the bike)or bump it against a wall gently

Tighten up the lower clamps,

Then if you really want take a string or long straight edge and check the alignment between the front and rear wheels.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand the concern. The headset only goes in one hole with set angles. The fork legs go in the already installed triple, and the front wheel clamps in the bottom the forks assuring they are facing correctly. The internals of the forks are held by mechanical tolerances and the bottom half of the fork does not care what its rotational relationship is to the top half and vice versa.

I know it seems that straight forward to most but this is my first go at a bike, and I just wanted to see what the 'norm' is, and if there were any techniques, order of operations etc; I am not out to reinvent the wheel, just curious mostly, and proper alignment seems pretty important to me.

The thing that prompted the question was the replacement of the fork tubes seemed to take much more effort than it did to remove them...when I loosened the triple bolts, I just lightly tapped the fork tubes and they slid right out.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I know it seems that straight forward to most but this is my first go at a bike, and I just wanted to see what the 'norm' is, and if there were any techniques, order of operations etc; I am not out to reinvent the wheel, just curious mostly, and proper alignment seems pretty important to me.

The thing that prompted the question was the replacement of the fork tubes seemed to take much more effort than it did to remove them...when I loosened the triple bolts, I just lightly tapped the fork tubes and they slid right out.
Rick,i think thats the norm.my 81 [sunflower]had to be driven out.

my 82 slide in and out,always needing a twist out

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I see the headset alignment as the biggest variable since the upper and lower headset are independent of one another--I think lining these up will take some time. Fork leg height can vary, even if off a little be can add a bit more variability. I will play with it is all; thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Take the bike off the center stand and bounce the front end up and down,roll it forward,and hit the brake several times..(note do this while sitting on the bike)or bump it against a wall gently

Tighten up the lower clamps,

Then if you really want take a string or long straight edge and check the alignment between the front and rear wheels.
What? Why do this? So just tighten the top clamps on the forks and take the bike off the center stand? Leave the lower clamps, fender, and axle nut loose? Tighten them when on the ground?

???

Confused

From what it seems the only thing to aligning the front end is making sure the fork tubes are level with top tripple tree. Once that's done tighten all the fork clamps, axle, fender, and go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.