Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I pulled my forks off to do bearings and seals when I refrenced the manual I noticed there was a hose that I do not have at the top of the forks the manual calls it a front fork joint hose. The thing is I don't see where it would go on my forks there is a air valve on the right fork but I see nothing on the left fork and no hole where it looks like the hose would go. Am I missing something here?

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Take a picture of the tops of the forks. There should be an air inlet otherwise someone must have replaced it with another cap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blindsticth I am sure you already know but some of the years/models didn't have the air set up? Was the 81 C one of those bikes? Also if you go looking for parts JRW be wary that there are two different sizes of fork tubes accross the different models of CXs. I made that mistake once...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The fork cap looks like an inverted "slot" screw. On the outside edge of one of those "lobes", if you will, you should find your air inlet. IF, it isn't covered up or hidden, because at the LEAST, it has been sheared off. Heck, it might have even been JB-welded, in which case, or anyways, another cap may be in your future.

In any event, you should take the springs out of both forks to assure they are the same length. I am not sure that springs from an air-assisted front end are the same as ones without the air-assist.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Blindsticth I am sure you already know but some of the years/models didn't have the air set up? Was the 81 C one of those bikes? Also if you go looking for parts JRW be wary that there are two different sizes of fork tubes accross the different models of CXs. I made that mistake once...

I believe the 81/82's had air caps but I could be wrong. Or the forks on the bike could be from and earlier model. I am using one of the sets that doesn't have air assist. 78-80 just has non air.

That's why I asked for a picture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I didnt get the pics on here yet I'm not the greatest with anything on a computer haha but I think I found my issue. There is a plug in both sides like someone took the hose off and just plugged the holes. So is it possible to run these forks with no air assist?

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
I think it is possible, but you would want to make sure your fork springs are stout, and perhaps add a pvc spacer on top to firm the spring rate. Otherwise you will likely have very mushy forks. Using 20wt fork oil is recommended by the majority here. ( Belray comes to mind). You will also need to make sure those fork caps are sealed tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.