Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to do the modifications to fit this tank to my CX500 custom, but now that I've come into possession of Nolimitz's '83 GL650, I've lost interest.

I picked this up on Ebay, and from what I was able to gather, it's from an early Standard model CX. It's in pretty darned good structural and inner surface condition. The tank does not have any dents and is quite clean on the inside. Doesn't appear to be any holes or places that have rusted through, so it should hold fuel without leaking. When I received it, the original paint job did have a good scratch running through the paint. The inside looks clean and is not coated in rust. I sprayed the inside of it with a healthy dose of fogging oil to keep it nice.

It has the fuel cap cover hardware but I don't have a key for it. The lock cylinder doesn't seem to really be functional (key-wise) - it locks in place but can be opened with a flat screwdriver or butter knife. The underside of the fuel cap cover is rusty.

It's located in Boise, Idaho. I'm asking $400.00 shipped (within the continental US; I'm sure international shipping would be prohibitively expensive). I'll include a brand new OEM petcock (part number 16950-385-703) that I never got around to installing, as well as new front rubber mounting cylinder thingamabobs. It also has the fuel cap chain and I think I even have a new rubber seal for the fuel cap, but I'll have to check. As you can see in the pics, I have the original fuel tank emblems as well.

Here's how the tank looked before I stripped the visible surface paint:

Still has the original rubber pad that goes on the underside:

I stripped the paint off the outside of it and a buddy of mine prepped it for priming (just on the outside and the rim of the underside:

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,478 Posts
The 1978 Standard fuel cover has a mere latch. It can be opened with anything.
Most Deluxe tanks, and maybe a few '79 Standards, have a true lock cylinder. Those will have a removable wire strike, rather than the sheet metal strike shown above.
Those are Standard graphics on the original paint.

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
14 Posts
Not a scammer here danroy323 just new to forum but I understand your concern. I don't see why a person can scam some one on buying a item, I can Understand that concern on a person selling and not having enough information. That's why I only use Pay pal myself to protect both ends.

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Not a scammer here danroy323 just new to forum but I understand your concern. I don't see why a person can scam some one on buying a item, I can Understand that concern on a person selling and not having enough information. That's why I only use Pay pal myself to protect both ends.
Welcome to the forum. Update your profile and/or signature to give some indication of your location and of the year and model of your bike. Post pictures!

Reactions: lukaspriest

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to have pointed you out as a scammer but yes there are now scammers on both ends... Google "Marketplace scams". Too bad we can't trust anyone these days...

Sorry again and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
14 Posts
Sorry to have pointed you out as a scammer but yes there are now scammers on both ends... Google "Marketplace scams". Too bad we can't trust anyone these days...

Sorry again and welcome to the club!
Thanks and No problem I know what you mean, It is really sad that now days is more evil than good but I do have to say there is still good people.

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
14 Posts
I was going to do the modifications to fit this tank to my CX500 custom, but now that I've come into possession of Nolimitz's '83 GL650, I've lost interest.

I picked this up on Ebay, and from what I was able to gather, it's from an early Standard model CX. It's in pretty darned good structural and inner surface condition. The tank does not have any dents and is quite clean on the inside. Doesn't appear to be any holes or places that have rusted through, so it should hold fuel without leaking. When I received it, the original paint job did have a good scratch running through the paint. The inside looks clean and is not coated in rust. I sprayed the inside of it with a healthy dose of fogging oil to keep it nice.

It has the fuel cap cover hardware but I don't have a key for it. The lock cylinder doesn't seem to really be functional (key-wise) - it locks in place but can be opened with a flat screwdriver or butter knife. The underside of the fuel cap cover is rusty.

It's located in Boise, Idaho. I'm asking $400.00 shipped (within the continental US; I'm sure international shipping would be prohibitively expensive). I'll include a brand new OEM petcock (part number 16950-385-703) that I never got around to installing, as well as new front rubber mounting cylinder thingamabobs. It also has the fuel cap chain and I think I even have a new rubber seal for the fuel cap, but I'll have to check. As you can see in the pics, I have the original fuel tank emblems as well.

I stripped the paint off the outside of it and a buddy of mine prepped it for priming (just on the outside and the rim of the underside:

This would be great for my build, I needed

·
Registered
1980 CX500 Custom
14 Posts

Is this tank still available or sold?

·
Super Moderator
5,889 Posts
Is this tank still available or sold?
It sometimes helps if you start a private conversation with the person, Click on their name. In the window which pops up look for the "start conversation" link.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
... but I do have to say there is still good people.
A lot of them are here. Anyone who sticks around for a while is usually a pretty good egg.

Reactions: Mendez4474

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
It sometimes helps if you start a private conversation with the person, Click on their name. In the window which pops up look for the "start conversation" link.
That's also part of the scammers MO. A conversation in the open forum isn't a bad thing. Once it gets to price negotiations, take it private.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts