·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500 Shadow
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not a huge fan of the seat cowl but it is a very cool bike! Looks like it's had quite a history too.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not a huge fan of the seat cowl but it is a very cool bike! Looks like it's had quite a history too.

If it´s the same bike I´ve read about several years ago - was it rather competitive. Even seems to have held the 500 class lap records on some circuits.

That one was also blue and had very similar exhaust, so maybe... But the wheels are different - this one seems to have got EURO model rims (+fork?), .

The one I´m thinking of was run by a guy, named Trevor Lusby.

Sture

·
Registered
473 Posts
Interesting bike, indeed.

Curious though. Looking at the specifications and modifications made to the bike it lists 'TOTAL LOSS IGNITION'.

What is this?

Thanks from Thailand

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Total loss means there it doesn't charge the battery. Less power is taken from the engine so long as you don't run out of juice.

According to MSD:

What does "Total Loss" mean? The flywheel no longer charges the battery. Usually the flywheel on a total loss system has been replaced with a light weight aluminum flywheel, without the charging magnets. Quicker acceleration is the main advantage of a total loss system since you have lightened the moving mass on the end of the crankshaft. The drawback is that you have to keep an eye on the charge level of the battery - and how often depends on how many times you use the starter (a big drain on the battery) plus how long you are out on the water. Figure about 4 to 6 hours of ride time starting off with a fully charged battery that has a 17 amp-hour rating - depending on how many times you use the starter.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500 Shadow
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that you, Kathy?
Hi Dave,

Yep - hope your recovery is coming along well!!

For Sture - this is the bike that Trevor Lusby raced for its owner (Lyall).

Kathy

·
Registered
977 Posts
It has no starter and is obviously a run and bump or started on rollers. It definitely is not street-able. It sure would be fun on a closed course in the twisties. Does it's racing record not make you feel proud about your twisted twin? It does me. BillRod

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i kinda like it but with no starter does that mean you have to push start it??

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i kinda like it but with no starter does that mean you have to push start it??

I think it´s normal procedure for "Classic" roadracing bikes to be started with rollers under the rear wheel in the pit. No starter and no heavy battery. All the battery has to do during the race is to provide power to the ignition system and that isn´t very much (small battery). Those "forgotten era" races I´ve seen seem to last about half an hour or so, at the most.

As I recall, one problem with this bike was that it used to run out of revs at the straights. As it happened at the time there was some discussion on the AUS forum about 650 clutch gear conversions and I was buying a couple of sets from the US (PWG for one). I got an email from AUS, asking for details, and as far as I recall, they did the clutch gear conversion. Maybe also something more, inside the gearbox.

The exhaust: This bike was said to be the loudest of them all in the gang, even when racing against bigger machines.

Seems he had no ground clearance problems with that bike. I also remember them saying that the bike was run with extremely low tire pressure, to get better grip.

Sture

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi Mate, nice to hear from you. Recovering well, thanks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yep - hope your recovery is coming along well!!

For Sture - this is the bike that Trevor Lusby raced for its owner (Lyall).

Kathy

I just noticed that I still have an old picture of this bike (less modified) on my Photobucket account

Sture

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The bike is an "CXE" model by American standards. It was always called just a CX down under.

I emailed back and forth with the owner a few years ago when he was running out of RPMs on long straightaways and suggested that he do a 650 clutch conversion, which I think he did. He was thinking about a 650 transmission too, but didn't know if the rules would allow it.

One of my last emails with the owner he was thinking of putting a CXT clutch/rear end in the unit as that even lowered the RPM more, but he didn't know if he was going to stay in racing ...

·
Registered
409 Posts
he is selling the bike to build another modified cx for racing,a few guys have seen this bike race and it held its own against some much more powerfull bikes than a cx.Personally I would not buy a clapped out modified road bike used for racing but each to there own.And it looks like someone has taken the bait as it has been removed from sale.

And the bike is SSSOOOOOOO loud you could never contemplate road registering it unless the mods were returned back to standard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts