Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, yeah, life is intervening and I should sell a couple of my classics. The CL ad is up for $8k, but this forum helped me while building my first one and so I'd take less for a forum member.

Here's the text of the Craigslist ad (https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/two-1982-honda-cx500-turbo/6681029801.html):

I'm selling both of my '82 CX500Ts primarily to raise some capital to invest in my business.

First, a bit about the one I've owned the longest:

The long and short of it is that this is an original, numbers-matching Honda CX500 Turbo. They were only manufactured for one year and were tremendously expensive when new; they were the first factory turbocharged- and computer-controlled/EFI motorcycles. It was a serious feat from Honda and one that set off the brief turbo wars between the major manufacturers. The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club estimated to me a few years ago that there were about 40 of these known to be around, though I suspect this number to be quite a bit lower than reality.

In 2011 I purchased this motorcycle and set about a substantial project. It came to me needing a stator replacement, which on most motorcycles would be trivial. This was not so trivial on this bike as it requires removing the engine (the stator is in the rear between the cylinders). I have a noted/documented rebuild that includes (but is not limited to) the following:

-Engine top-end rebuild
-New gaskets all around
-New thermostat
-New spark plugs
-"Triple bypass," including:
>New custom-wound US-made stator
>New water pump seal
>New cam chain guides
-New instrument cluster regulator
-New starter motor brushes (while in there I reconditioned the starter)
-Replaced ECU and Pb sensors

Recent maintenance items include:
-New fork seals
-New brake pads
-New shaft oil
-New coolant
-New brake fluid
-Oil change/filter

I'm absolutely positive I'm forgetting some things, but I kept logs of the work I did (which will come with the bike).

The bike currently has 19,739 original miles. I've put 737 of those miles on the bike since finishing the build in 2011, mostly back and forth to motorcycle shows and events. All lights work, all gauges and instruments work, all the lenses are in good shape, and the bike is solid.

Negatives:
-Tires are in very good shape, but should be changed due to age
-Rear suspension bushings creak
-Starts up and runs great, but every once in a while stumbles and requires a restart when cold
-Cosmetics aren't perfect: Some decals are faded and there's some chipping in the paint. It's a survivor, not a garage queen
-A previous owner painted the exhaust caps and some exhaust trim orange to match the decals, which is not original coloration

I have not touched up any of the paint or decals. This is a runner and a rider and I've kept it original and clean. The turbo builds excellent boost and the engine runs great. Aside from tires (if you choose to replace them) there are no service or maintenance issues to attend to.

I took a brief video showing a cold start of the engine (after it had been sitting for a full day):

Second, the other Turbo:

This one was my father-in-law's; I purchased the bike from him in 2017. He did the "triple bypass" in 2006. This bike has a restored title (theft recovery, originally in Indiana). It could use a little work -- the gas tank could use a repaint, and I haven't made it around to rebuilding the rear brakes yet. Other than that, it starts and runs just like the other. Similarly to the other one, the suspension bushings creak and the decals are faded. All paint (save for the fuel tank) is original. The seat cover is poor but I have a brand-new one ready to install.

This bike has 13,300 miles.

Third:

I have a ton of spares, including spare front and rear suspensions and wheels, a spare engine, a spare turbo, spare computer and sensors, a spare dash, a factory-original Honda service manual, and, well, just a ton of stuff.

I would like to sell this entire package -- two running, riding, titled, and insured CX500Ts and all of the spares I possess -- for $8,000. I could also the bikes individually and the spares as a package, though I'd prefer to hang on to the spares until the bikes have been sold.

I am not looking for help selling the bikes, and I am not looking for trades.

I *will* consider shipping the bikes BUT I will require a cashier's check in hand first, which I will take to the bank of origin and turn into cash first (and you'll have to arrange shipping). If you want to bring a trailer, great! I'll help you load. If you want a vehicle report, feel free to run it yourself and I'll reimburse you. There are far too many scammers on Craigslist and I've seen them in action.

Titles are both current AZ titles in my name.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Feel free to make an offer. I don't want to list these on eBay but I do need to let them go, I think.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Brandon,

I wish I was a bit closer and I would definitely make you an offer - but to get those bikes to Australia would probably cost as much as you are asking - overall I think they present well, and should be worth the money you are asking for the whole package - best of luck with the sale - hope someone steps up and makes an offer - quite rare to see 2 bikes with spares come up...

cheers

:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y'know, I've mulled over the idea of starting a motorcycle import/export business between the US and Australia/New Zealand but I'm not there quite yet. :)

I figure I'll give it another week or two and if I'm unable to sell the lot I'll put it all on eBay, though I'm not sure if listing on eBay would be better to do piecemeal (and I really, really don't want to deal with eBay).

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
If foreign buyer is really interested, a customs broker may be able to get them to OZ or wherever for less than you think.

You'd have to find someone willing to put the whole she-bang on a pallet or two and preferably closed with plywood or cardboard. Not that difficult. People that do this will probably charge around $300 for a couple bikes and parts. Then find a freight forwarder or broker to get a price. Cheapest are containers with personal effects, they're seldom completely full and that empty space can be bought on the cheap, you have to call around.

Just an idea you might want to look into if you're serious about buying. Check import restrictions etc., but most countries don't bother you on anything "historic" or antique, which a Turbo qualifies for.

Australia is actually pretty reasonable on ocean shipping, last time I checked a 20 footer out of California was around $1200 all in, this gives you an idea of what a consolidator pays then resells the space to various clients.

Airlines may also surprise you on price, most flights out of Asia come in loaded with cargo, but struggle to fill the hold on the way back. I recall someone on this board flying his crated CX to Indonesia or Thailand (can't recall was a while ago) for $600, which at the time was cheaper than maritime.

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a buyer in NY but he backed out because freight was going to be too expensive. Still for sale. Make an offer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sold!

Thank you folks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I clearly have been bitten by the turbo bug. My wife and I flew to AZ yesterday afternoon and Brandon met us at the airport. We had a great taco dinner and Brandon was kind enough to put us up for the night. This morning we picked up the rental truck and loaded up the bikes and spares. We are making a bit of a vacation of the return trip and are stopping in various places along the way. It's a 2000 mile drive home otherwise. I'm looking forward to sorting through this lot over winter and getting the two bikes perfect. I will also likely be selling off some of the spares if anyone needs anything.

Reactions: elrodicater

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
So I clearly have been bitten by the turbo bug. My wife and I flew to AZ yesterday afternoon and Brandon met us at the airport. We had a great taco dinner and Brandon was kind enough to put us up for the night. This morning we picked up the rental truck and loaded up the bikes and spares. We are making a bit of a vacation of the return trip and are stopping in various places along the way. It's a 2000 mile drive home otherwise. I'm looking forward to sorting through this lot over winter and getting the two bikes perfect. I will also likely be selling off some of the spares if anyone needs anything.
Good luck with the new bikes. You are lucky that you live close to one of the most talented 500 turbo guys on the forum - elrodicater. Be sure to look up his post on how he restored his 500 turbo. Keep us posted on what you do to the bikes.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I love reading stories like this! Cant wait to see this follow up. Great job folks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good luck with the new bikes. You are lucky that you live close to one of the most talented 500 turbo guys on the forum - elrodicater. Be sure to look up his post on how he restored his 500 turbo. Keep us posted on what you do to the bikes.
Thanks, I have been trading pm's with elrodicater and tapping his brain. Living only an hour from each other I sure plan to buy the man a beer and talk turbo's in the near future.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Thanks, I have been trading pm's with elrodicater and tapping his brain. Living only an hour from each other I sure plan to buy the man a beer and talk turbo's in the near future.
Be careful around Elrod, he will have you polishing your nuts in no time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts