Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my bike is running dependably, I can start to worry about the “other things”. The only thing that I can complain about is my foot position. My feet want to point downwards; this puts my right toes under the brake peddle. It doesn’t seem to be a problem on the left side because my toes work under the shift lever. If I make a conscious effort to keep my right foot above the brake peddle then my foot feels like my ankle is kinked. Is there and adjustment, modification, or other change? I have the standard tiered deluxe seat so I really can’t slide back in the seat any, besides that my seat, back, shoulder and arm positions all feel comfortable.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I am the same way,,I usually ride with my toes under the brake pedal. I guess I just got used to it,,if I have to stop in a hurry I seem to have no problem getting my foot up on top of the pedal,,probably because I start braking with the front and then hit the rear soon after.

edit; actually my foot is not "under" the brake pedal,,it is lower than the pedal though,,but my feet are usually pointed outward a bit.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
John,

I just noticed that you are in Blue Springs ! Only about 50 miles down I-70 from me. Blue Fox lives another 60 miles away in Columbia. We have GOT TO get together for a little group ride !! I go by Blue Springs a couple times a month (in the car though) to go get my girls that live in Kearney.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Ditto to the above.The only real time I lift my foot over the rear brake is when needed anyway such as pulling away from lights just in case I need a full on brake or when coming to a junction where I know there are some cager idiots who may pull out or manouvre where I think I may need both brakes.

If you ride with anticipation you should not need to use your brakes much

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Agreed.......the engine itself makes a GREAT brake ! Oh the advantages of having a manual transmission ! (Unlike most cars).

I've mentioned it several times over the years as it gets overlooked but the engine braking on these bikes is an absolute joy.When they well tuned setting up for bends and using just engine braking is as good as accelerating out of them IMHO.

I used to have a two-stroke 175 CC BSA Trials conversion.Try using engine braking on a,"Stroker" MuuuHaaaaHaaaa

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I had the same problem with my foot position on my CX, the answer for me was to slide my foot back and put the footpeg under the ball of your foot rather than at the arch of the foot. I did cuss my GL650I when I first started riding it, it seemed like the shifter was in the wrong place, I even considered trying a different shifter until I noticed tht the footpeg was bent about an inch or so upward. Fixed the peg and that fixed the shifter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I followed Old Okie's advice and road with the ball of my foot on the peg instead of the arch. At first I was worried about reaction time to get my foot on the brake but it was quicker to slide my foot forward then to lift it up to the brake and the comfort was what I was expecting. Also with the ball of my feet on the pegs my feet are flat not pointed down waiting for something to jump up from the road and grab them, I feel the bike more and seem to have better control.

Rick one day we'll get together for a ride.

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
You can adjust it lower. Simply pull the pedal off, and rotate it one spline on the shaft. I dont think I would do more than one spline though.
This is what I have done with my CX and a number of other bikes I have owned. The CX is definitely not the only bike guilty of this.

With the pedal height lowered 1 spline you only need to shift your toes sideways rather than completely reposition your foot to use the brake.

The brake pedal can also be bent slightly outwards to place it under your foot if you are so inclined but not reccomended if you stand on your pegs for the rough stuff.

EDIT: - If you do this don't forget to readjust your brake light switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.