Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just considering future needs.

Is anyone using a Stinger or Ace folding trailer to transport their bike?

If so, please offer pros/cons of such a vehicle.

My storage situation is limited, so I'm looking to a folding trailer that will collapse and stand up to consume a small footprint. I have hauled my bike in the bed of a GMC 2500HD. Now, I'm downsized to a Toyota Tacoma. Plus loading a bike into a pickup by myself is more harrowing and strenuous than a 60 yo man is comfortable handling.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Plus loading a bike into a pickup by myself is more harrowing and strenuous than a 60 yo man is comfortable handling.
You don't even have to be 60 for for it to be a harrowing experience by yourself!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got a friend in Mankato, MN selling a Bear Track aluminum trailer. 53" wide x 8' long. New tires, bearings, hubs, LED lights, wooden wheel chalk that clamps in for motorcycles.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, but I do not have storage space for a trailer that size.

D-Fresh, I'm a one man show about 99% of the time. Getting help from SWMBO to run the bike up a ramp onto a truck is challenging at best. If I give instructions as to how to handle the bike and what to expect or cautions......then I'm commanding or bossing. So, I have become accustomed to handling tasks as solo.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wouldn't just because that's a lot of damn effort and space taken up just to tow an occasional bike.

I use to use one of these a LOT 800lb Motorcycle Scooter Carrier 2" Tow Receiver Trailer Hauler Hitch Mount Rack | eBay

I probably put 2~3k miles on my CX's rear wheel with one of those. Just pop the rear wheel off and remove the spline ring and drag it anywhere. I kept a spare wheel and tire around just for towing. Also did a lot of other bikes...my TL1000S and TL1000R, GSXR's, some cruisers, etc. Handy thing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U-Haul motorcycle trailers are local rent only, not available for one way. U-Haul will rent an open cargo trailer for one way, but its only marginally better than the pickup bed. Tie downs and front wheel chocks are missing from the open cargo trailers......

Anyhow, seems like this forum has no experience with either Stinger or Ace. My research continues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry dude I have a friend with a Stinger. I've used it. It's bulky, lightweight, and great at trying to cut off your fingers while setting it up. It has tiny wheels which means a lot of wear on the rubber and bearings. It's expensive. And it serves as a motorcycle trailer while having none of the other conveniences of having an actual trailer. If you're only looking for a means to move a motorcycle around it is in every way inferior to the hitch dolly. I would only consider it if the bike I was hauling was something particularly special and couldn't be towed on the rear wheel...and even then, if that were the case, I would rent a real trailer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makenzie71, Thank you.

When you say "tiny wheels"....do you recall the wheel size? Is the Stinger an early model? The company has done redesigns with bigger wheels and address other short falls.

I'm also looking at hitch dollys. Hunting for one that will pivot at the ball. So far, I've found rigid mounts to the receiver. So, when turning one side of the straps goes slack, then the bike will take a precarious lean. The severity of the lean depends on the sharpness of the corner.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
U-Haul motorcycle trailers are local rent only, not available for one way
DavidInWisconsin brought me my GL650 with a UHaul trailer. My problem is the same as yours: Storage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's an older one maybe? I know he's had it at least a year or two.

My dolly the straps stayed rigid. The bike would lean opposite the turn, but the straps never slacked. I really can't tell you if the lean matters much with the CX but I towed it through Raton Pass as fast as my little 328i could go through it. At the time I had a high mount exhaust on it...would maybe have scraped the stock exhaust. I did drag a few dressers around and one stock silverwing without any issue but I made it a point to not be too spirited in my driving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not spirited driving. My concern is sharp corners and drives entering or exiting a gas station. The tow vehicle (pickup) will be on a different plane and steer angle than the rear tire of the bike.

Seems like a prime place to exceed the strength of a strap or hook. Then the bike is dumped in a very difficult location with difficulty to get back upright.

Mak...do you feel your tow dolly is robust, strong, holds the bike securely?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's been a long time since I used one but it was always strong...it was close to the ground (again, I towed with my BMW 328i) but I always thought that exacerbated the lean into turns. I never had a strap fail but I always took meticulous care of my straps...or some of them. I have straps for bikes and important stuff and straps for everything else. I also had a safety chain laced through the wheel, through the dolly, and then to my safety catch on the car just in case something let go. The trick I learned with mine was to secure the bike from unsprung areas and as close to the front axle as possible. On my TL I actually ran a piece of all-thread through the axle where I could tighten it down outside the lower fork stanchions and then hook up to D rings...I'd strap down from there. The CX was harder and I had to go to the fork brace above the wheel. But the closer you are axle the less changes in angles in the road will affect strap tension. I never had one let go but I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out the geometry before I got on the road...I made mine in 2006 when they weren't really a thing...now I see them everywhere.

I made a couple trips from Lubbock, TX to Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Cripple Creek in Colorado pulling my TL1000S and my CX500 and the only real issue I had was backing up. Backing up is a real bugger and I will say that's the one place a dedicated motorcycle trailer will probably shine.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
If you're looking for a permanent purchase, and allowing for your storage needs, get a folding trailer. Then, you can add a wheel chock, and tie down points, and customize your own trailer.
I was going to do that, initially. But, when I found out how cheap the U-haul rental was, I opted for that.I just needed to get it to the DMV for inspection. New state registration requires inspection, and I didn't want any hassles riding there.

EJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts