Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know to get the flywheel off the drain plug from a subaru is recommended. So i picked one up and just like recommended I glued on a washer to give it a little more length.

It fits and seems like it would work but I can't get the darn thing off no matter how hard I try. All I end up with are smashed washers and no luck with the flywheel.

Is there something I could be forgetting? Any ideas why it won't come off?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yup. They are a bugger. Get the bolt good and tight and then give the bolt a few good smacks with the hammer of persuasion. You wont hurt anything but your washer. What is keeping it on there is a key, and it gets "sticky" after years. So with the bolt in there tight, ... you are pulling on the flywheel. Then with the taps of the hammer on the bolt, I guarantee..... tap, see if it loosen up, tap, check again... and continue. With this technique it's not hard.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Do you have an air impact wrench to use. That is the slickest way to pop them off. Without one of those, try adding a thicker washer and when you have the bolt as tight as possible, rap the end of the bolt with a 2-3 lb hammer. Then try to tighten the bolt and repeat. It should pop off after several tries.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work on cars all day long. I tap the ends of pullers every time I use them. One would think I would try that in this situation as well. I guess I come home and just go brain dead.

Thanks guys. I'll give it another shot.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
I like the impact solution set to rattle the anvil back and forth. Falls off right in your hands. Otherwise tap and wack is the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.