Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil filter bolt can double as a flywheel puller. Is this cool or what? I knew Honda had hidden it somewhere

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,074 Posts
Be careful with that. It can trash your oil filter bolt. Better to source a bolt of identical size and thread.

The same is true of using an axle to remove the fan. The tapered end of the axle reduces the number of threads that engage, so the hub of the fan can strip. A flat-ended bolt will maximize threads and contact surface.

R

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't use a good one no, since the 12mm hex head could easily be rounded. However an old one is no problem. It engages just fine.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've used an old oil filter bolt before in an emergency but in the full knowledge that it's made of brittle cast metal and could snap into the Flywheel hole so plenty of heat and penetrating fluid was used.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I've used an old 12mm headed oil filter bolt and stilsons to remove rotors many times

and it worked well and my rotors came off easily

One day working on someones else bike, I had to remove one that really didnt want to budge and the bolt

sheared off due to the limitations of its being hollow and the force I was using.

In short, they will work up to a point but if you push it too far you may have a broken stub to

remove and be unable to proceed until you do.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,074 Posts
Most of the handful of flywheels I've pulled have been pretty well stuck on, so I'm glad to have a bolt a little longer than my fist. It allows a good grip while I swing the BFH.

R

·
Registered
134 Posts
I didn't need my oil filter bolt because I use an adaptar, so I thought, let's try this. I just managed to break the thread on the oil filter bolt and it spins around and won't come out.

How can I remove it?

·
Super Moderator
23,103 Posts
Then you have probably stripped the threads that are engaged in the rotor, leaving a couple of threads intact beyond the threads of the rotor.

Have you tried finding the pickup point of the thread to turn the bolt back out? You might get lucky.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Then you have probably stripped the threads that are engaged in the rotor, leaving a couple of threads intact beyond the threads of the rotor.

Have you tried finding the pickup point of the thread to turn the bolt back out? You might get lucky.
I have tried extensively, trying to pull it at an angle and even gently hammering it around. No luck.

What's next? :)

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
i would cut the oil filter bolt off at about a half inch beyond the rotor

then carefully use a dremel or a hack saw blade if it fits inside to grind it down to the threads of the rotor

all the while repeating

"i will always use the proper tool"

once you have it ground/cut in two spots try to get it to split so you can pull it out

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dremel doesn't fit in there. With the hacksaw this may take longer than what I have left on this planet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.