Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the reassembly step of my engine refurbishing, and I have a question about the flywheel. When I installed it, there is a bit of a gap between the starter driven gear and the back of the flywheel. The driven gear can slide back and forth a bit, maybe a 1/4" of an inch or a little less, as shown in the two photos below. One is fully slid forward, the other is fully slid back. My question is, is this normal or I have got something wrong with my assembly?
IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

I did tighten down the bolt holding on the flywheel to 70 ft. pounds of torque, thinking that would draw it in if it wasn't slid all the way in tightly on the tapered shaft. That didn't seem to make much difference. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the 37mm washer (#14 in the parts fiche) in there?
Yes, I'm quite certain it was there inside the starter clutch mechanism. It is a thin washer. I think I'll pull the flywheel back off again this evening and see if I can figure out what's happening. It seems like there shouldn't be that much movement possible with the driven gear, but this is my first GL engine to dig into, so I just am not sure how it should be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirmation Randall. I took mine back off and reinstalled it to make sure I hadn't gotten something jammed up or off kilter, and all seemed good. Now on with the reassembly!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Murray. I am moving forward with my project as it is. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal before closing it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts