Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in angst over the M20 x 1.5 bolt that is supposed to pop off my rotor. What pitch should I be getting and where can I find this bolt without buying it in bulk?

The newbie

deuce

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The answer is....

M20x 1.5 or a Large Subaru drain pain bolt which is the same size but needs a washer glued to the end to get a hair more length.

Subaru oil pan plug $2.99

Subaru oil pan plug with washer glued on to make it long enough

You'll need something to hold the flywheel from turning. Some people use a strap wrench. That's great but I didn't have one big enough so I used a drill bit stuck backwards into one of the holes on the flywheel periphery. The block of wood is resting against the starter gear. I didn't want the drill bit directly on the starter gear shaft. Tightening the oil pan nut to pop off the flywheel barely stressed this hillbilly rigged set-up.

·
Registered
269 Posts
on metric bolts, the first number is the shank size. the second is the thread pitch.

So a 20 X 1.5 bolt is a 20mm shank size and a 1.5 threads per mm pitch.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Is there some reason I'm missing for this being posted twice? And responded to twice?

Cross posting and double posting is really bad form on any BB, doubly so in the same forum. Makes it a cluster fudge to respond to or use for future reference.

It was extremely rare on the old forum, second time today on this one.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,027 Posts
where can I find this bolt without buying it in bulk?
Beisswenger Hardware at 35W and Hwy 96 has a few in an unmarked bin at the bottom of their metric section. They're longer than the drain plug, something like M20x120, with a 1.5 pitch. I use the "whack the bolt head" method, so I prefer the long bolt.

Or you can find it in my toolbox. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

R

·
Registered
816 Posts
I got mine from the Fastenal store in our fair city. Didn't have much luck with the oil pan bolt as it stripped out. Maybe my flywheel was in really tight, but the Fastenal bolt is more substantial, and is longer to boot (no glued washer needed).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the the advice, the M20 worked wonderful. I added 2 washers on the end for good measure. Came off no prob. As for the post about posting twice. I do not make a habit of doing so on here or any other place that I may post. Sometimes mistakes happen. Sorry!!

deuce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts