Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i couldn't wait for the acv to come and started putting carbs back together before stuff starts dissapearing. i found my float level bottoms out on the body of the carb. i read somewhere that level should be 15.5mm. mine is like 10. should this measurment be taken with the plunger compressed or just touching?I tried heating them up under hot tap water but they didn't seem to bend. maybe burnzomatic?

this is as clean as i can get them, air and like 12 trips through the ulrasonic cleaner for all parts. if this doesn't do it i am going to swap around some coils and plugs and make another set of wires and then be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,410 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You should be holding the carbs like this;

The floats should be resting against the pin in the end of the float needle

but not pushing it in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't heat anything up. I just looked at mine which are the same as yours and have recently been measured and you look fine.

If you look at your first picture you can see that you are completely compressing the FNV pin. That's not the point to take your measurement. Look at it very closely from the side as you actuate the float. The key point is when the valve first sets into its seat. That's when the gas will cease to enter the float bowl and the running float level will be determined. Take your measurement at that point and I think you will be alright. Measuring at the different points makes a big difference in the angle of the float.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There, is a spring-loaded pin on top of each FNV that the float should rest against. If you've the wrong FNV['s without the pins, your float level will be off, OR, if those pins are collapsed, you'll get the kind of measurements you are getting. The weight of the floats should NOT collapse those pins, and IF they do, they're shot and needs be replaced.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Also, if the spring loaded pin is stuck OUT and will not push in, this will cause a problem also. Been there.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ok,there seems to be confusion as to the OP,s float heights.

get some 4mm clear tube.connect one end to the drain nipple,then hold the tube up against the body of the carb.undo the drain screw[slot head]the fuel will rise in the tube and stop at the level inside the carb.its like having x-ray vision.it should be visible,and seen terminating just under the bowl seam

depending on your vacumn petcock set up,you may need to crank the engine,so fuel freely flows

1 - 7 of 7 Posts