Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
1983 CX650 Custom.
My left side carb overflow leaks when I turn off my motor (The tube which comes off the bottom of the bowl.)
It stops if I turn my fuel selector to off, which I suppose makes sense.
Is there an easy fix for this?
Taking the carbs off and on this bike is a real chore. Very miserable process.
I believe I can get the bowl off the carb without removing the carburetor from the bike.
Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
42 Posts
When this happens to me, it's usually the result of debris either in the float hinge or the float needle seat. It's an easy fix, as far as carb work goes.

I prefer to remove the carbs to do this so I don't get cleaner everywhere. It was also a pain to get to all of the float bowl screws without stripping them, until I upgraded to socket heads. However, if these aren't concerns then you should be able to get to the float with the carbs in place.

Clean out your bowls while you're at it, flush your lines and add a filter. That should limit repeat occurrences in the future.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've had the carbs off my 650 numerous times, tight fit. Did you remove the vacuum bell and slide on right carb first? Also the manifolds must be removed from carbs before removal from frame. I don't think it's possible to correct leaking float needles without carb removal. The floats are not adjustable but it may be? Thorough cleaning and inspection is required, I followed Larry's book instructions. I did replace float needles, I had several from kits that were too short and leaked, but found K&L brand that were exact same length as measured by calipers and all leakage is fixed currently.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its likely some piece of [email protected] jammed in the float needle seat holding the needle open.

Try closing the pet cock, open the carb drain, empty the bowl. Close the drain, open the petcock. This may flush out the float needle seat. If this doesn't work, then you'll likely need to pull the carbs for a tighter inspection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How long has it been leaking? Mine did it twice. I had to shut the petcock both times to get it to stop leaking. Then it just stopped doing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quick fixes are great if they work. The carbs really aren't that complicated, proper float level with good clean jets will go along way to make the bike run great. After over complicating my 1st rebuild of '82 Cx carbs, I never got the bike to start right. After a more laid back approach on the 2nd build I simply made sure of the 15.5 mm float height, which the 1st build wasn't... and also the body and jets were real clean. Now the bike starts ice cold almost instantly, idles down off choke in about 30 secs. Yeah..if ya got the time pull 'em off and check your float(s)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I agree that removal and cleaning/rebuilding is the path to proper carb function if flooding persists. On the 650 carbs the floats are all plastic with no adjustment for level, and the Ebay reproduction floats I got 3 yrs past were not exactly identical and therefore useless. I reused original floats and level is correct.

·
Super Moderator
13,497 Posts
If tapping the affected float bowl with a screwdriver handle or flushing the bowl as Newt described doesn't help you can sometimes blow the debris out with compressed air.
  • set the compressor's regulator to 10-15 PSI
  • disconnect the fuel line from the petcock
  • place a good sized container under both of the carb overflow hoses
  • insert the blow gun into the fuel line and apply a couple of short bursts of air
Fuel will squirt/spray out of the overflows, probably carrying with it chunks of anything that was in the float bowls and any debris that was keeping the float valve's needle from seating properly should be dislodged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts