Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the first carb cleaned and put together no problems, but had a delay on the 2nd on.

Finally got it apart and starting to clean when I noticed that the float bowl drain screw was in rough shape. The point is essentially gone. Broke off the rust... rest of the bolt seems ok, but flat ended.

So, hopped online and figure whatever... buy a pair of new ones. Not quite as easy as I thought.

Half the sites when I do find them, say 80-81 only, and mine is a 79 (standard, not custom/deluxe)... and so far almost no site seems to have stock. They also appear to be brass now? Which I prefer anyways.

In any case... is it a typo on those sites that say 80-81? because the image looks the same as sites that just say CX500 (stock carb).

Also... anyone know where I can buy two cheap? Regular sites I use are out of stock, even Randakk's, and siriusconinc.com...

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=3325

c3ea1a940cab2e27f792a3f17d11678f.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
all the same.......get it if you need it

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the same, is what I figured... looked the same, but, was worried because never know if the stock image was of the actual item or not.

Now, to find someone selling them... figured be a tonne on eBay, as is often the case with parts like that but no luck. Unless I'm using the wrong name?

Carb fuel bowl drain, or float bowl drain screw/plug is what I've been calling them.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
if you got a carb rebuild kit, often times they come in the kit

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No... I have the kit that's mostly just the rubber parts, and I bought a package of the stainless steel hex head bolts.

The first carb was fine, didn't need anything more than what the kit had, and used mostly original parts keeps the extras as spares. I also got a set of new jets since switching to pods.

Just need those drain screws. Nothing else.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
do they need to be brand new?? I can check my spares and see if I have any decent ones

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but aiming for new... they don't seem too costly, just figured someone might know of a site that has stock. I'll have to search around a bit when I get home... I think I saw one last night but said 80-81 which threw me off a bit. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts