Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the upper right corner of this wiring diagram is the flasher relay. I think it is showing that 3 wires get connected to it. Does the speckled wire get connected to a green on 1 post and a black on the other? Or does the green not get connected at all? Maybe the same harness is used for another bike and on mine the green is not used?

·
Super Moderator
23,975 Posts
My bike has a 2 pin flasher unit. 3 wires are present, but the green is not connected.

Bear in mind, I am in Australia so my wiring may vary from what you have in the states.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
My bike has a 2 pin flasher unit. 3 wires are present, but the green is not connected.

Bear in mind, I am in Australia so my wiring may vary from what you have in the states.

Probably goes the opposite way around just like the toilet water.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The 'speckled' wire is connected to the rear brake light switch

not the flasher relay.

The FRs on CXs are simple

Supply in on Black, Power out on Grey ( later bikes may have White/green supply)

I very much doubt yours needs or uses a ground unless a modern

ona has been fitted.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

Here in Louisiana I also have a 2 wire flash relay. ( are there actually three wire flasher modules in the USA?
do we use AC or DC on these
?)

Every CX I've seen uses the same two wire flasher module, and has an unused green grounding wire there.

There is an extra "unused" green wire ( grounding wire ) for accs. There is another unused ground wire in the headlight bucket for the same purpose. It can be confusing to have an unused dangling wire. If you are not going to use a "Cigarette lighter" or wire in any other add on electrics, Radio, heated saddle, TV, etc... you can lose them. I double tied all my grounds to the extra wire in the bucket as you cannot fubar anything by having it grounded in more than one place as long as you do not connect a "Hot" wire to ground.

Fer Example.... in a DC circuit I could have one twelve volt hot wire going to a lightbulb, and connect the other side to ground 50 times and it would make no difference.... Electricity will only use the path of least resistance to ground. If the best one fails, it will have 49 more grounds. ( obviously this is exaggerated, but I think illustrates the concept )

Also, Leaving out the "load" (lightbulb) would allow a direct path from the hot wire to ground allowing the battery to try and drain itself instantly (short circuit).... hopefully blowing the main fusable link instead of melting the wiring harness.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I think modern electronic relays need a ground

as well as a supply for the internal 'gubbins'

( if you want the technical term
)

which work independantly of the load.

Others may as well, but mostly the cx relays are simple affairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump?
In the upper right corner of this wiring diagram is the flasher relay. I think it is showing that 3 wires get connected to it. Does the speckled wire get connected to a green on 1 post and a black on the other? Or does the green not get connected at all? Maybe the same harness is used for another bike and on mine the green is not used?

i need help on my cx 500 eurosprt 82, iv changed the switch gear for a small chines turn signal off wish site, an for some reason it keeps blowing the really.
an when coneted up they flash like hazard lights, then connect the gray wire it blows the relay iv put resisters in an they get very hot, any help guys?

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Did your small Chinese switch gear come with a wiring diagram?
Are you actually blowing the relay or do you mean that it is blowing the fuse?
Where and why have you put resistors? Have you changed to LED lights? If so, the solution is not to put resistors but to use an LED ready flasher relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where and why have you put resistors? Have you changed to LED lights? If so, the solution is not to put resistors but to use an LED ready flasher relay.

This is it think this is the problem, it's small so I like it, but no diagram or nothing took the back off to follow the leads, not sure if to much power to relay or bad earth or what?

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,433 Posts
I think you'll need to spend some time with a continuity meter to discover the function of each lead. Once you've identified ground, the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Randall

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.