Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fixed my dead short problem today by bypassing the kill switch. went to the start it and BANG! dialed the tune back from 3 1/2 to 2 1/2. started it again BANG! shooting fire out of the tailpipes. any suggestions? am i too rich? too lean? too stupid to know what to do next? heres my set up

gl500

90 / 125 jets

straight pipe exhaust

air pod filters that i choked down with additional filter material because it was 10 times worse before i did this.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
As an observation if you leave it that way the kids with hopped up little cars will be impressed.

I have seen them do that intentionally!

OK.

I have nothing helpful to add.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine pops and back fires when I cut the throttle, it might even shoot flames I'm not sure I'm looking forward at the time.

But mine's probably due to my shorty cut-off tailpipes I have. :)

I beleive it can be caused by too much petrol in the petrol/air mix. But I'm no expert.

Cheers

Curt

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you're suggesting i lean it out?

it doesnt stay running when it backfires i should mention. i'm going to probably dial the screws in a half turn at starts. also i gotta tear the bowls off the carbs again. they are still leaking profusely when the petcock is open.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from a suggestion i recieved elsewhere i'm letting the battery charge up. i can't recall the last time it was charged up and the starter is struggling to kick over so when it finally does there is a generous amount of fuel sitting in the chamber. i'm not sure how long i have to charge the battery up. i don't like my charger at all so it may get chucked in the trash if it take more than overnight to charge the battery up.

·
Super Moderator
23,753 Posts
Monitor your battery charging with a multimeter set to 20v DC if you have one. Disconnect the charger from the battery first to avoid false readings. If it seems to be charged check volts again after 30 minutes or so "rest" off charge to see where the charge has settled back to, if neccessary charge again. You are after a resting charge of 12.7 v.

Oh, and top up with distilled water before charging if need be.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
fixed my dead short problem today by bypassing the kill switch. went to the start it and BANG! dialed the tune back from 3 1/2 to 2 1/2. started it again BANG! shooting fire out of the tailpipes. any suggestions? am i too rich? too lean? too stupid to know what to do next? heres my set up

gl500

90 / 125 jets

straight pipe exhaust

air pod filters that i choked down with additional filter material because it was 10 times worse before i did this.

You have unburnt fuel going out the cylinder and igniting in the exhaust probably due to cutting off the exhaust pressure wave with cutting off the mufflers and the airbox. At this point I would suggest changing the ignition timing which is sort of tough on these.bikes

EDIT: It's running lean in the Jug and rich in the Pipe. Some will suggest a richer idle circuit etc. I think you may be chasing your tail without a somewhat "tuned" exhaust. that "pressure wave" or back pressure is part of what keeps the air fuel charge inside the Cyl for proper combustion. some popping on a straight pipe motor will happen under decceleration and is nothing I've ever worried too much about. (sounds sexy to me) Flames out the Exhaust, not so good.... Flames out the carbs, bad

or as has been suggested above in the OMG LookaDat!!! dept...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLSemGGpTg[/media]

·
Registered
552 Posts
mine was backfiring at high rpm due to the vacuum petcock being a terrible thing. you see, engines dont make much vacuum at all at high RPM which, ironically, is when the engine needs the most fuel. so I did the vacuum deletion and put in some new carb bowl gaskets. now it seems to run like a dream. just throwing in my story of backfiring I do understand that your situation may be different best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
so you're suggesting i lean it out?

it doesnt stay running when it backfires i should mention. i'm going to probably dial the screws in a half turn at starts. also i gotta tear the bowls off the carbs again. they are still leaking profusely when the petcock is open.

I'll suggest not leaning it or richening it until you read the spark plugs. I bet it will run (for a while) if you change them out. 99% you are lean... as I mentioned, it's not all the carbs tho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.