Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post and I figured I'd post this quick fix in case anybody else out there runs into the same problem. I bought a 79 CX500 Custom late last year as a first motorcycle. I love it. Here's a photo of her from last October-

originalbike.jpg

After riding it for about a month I noticed a small amount of oil dripping from the front of the engine. It wasn't too bad but I wanted to fix it. (It's the smaller oil stain in above photo)

I've never worked on motorcycles before but I worked as a mechanic in bicycle shops for a couple years in high school. I'd say this repair was easy/medium on an easy-to-extremely-difficult scale.

First I removed the radiator and fan. To remove the fan I used a M14 x 1.5 bolt about 2 inches long and it worked perfectly. Here's what I saw-
leakonbike.jpg

You can't see it in the above photo but the camshaft oil seal wasn't sitting flush. It moved around very easily and I knew that it was the problem. Looked like this-
oldseal.jpg

Found the parts list here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 1981 CX500C A CAMSHAFT Diagram
bikediagram.jpg
I needed #14, the oil seal.

I also bought the necessary gaskets and o-rings.

Here's the new seal. You can see a circular metal spring inside the new seal. I'm guessing the old one just wore out after 30+ years of use.
newseal.jpg

Then I installed the new seal. It fit in securely and didn't move around like the old one, so I'm guessing my problems are solved. No oil leaks yet, fingers crossed.
newsealinstalled.jpg

Hope this helps somebody out there. I'm really glad this forum exists and psyched to be a new part of it!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The spring helps maintain contact on the sealing surface, not hold the seal in the case. If your spring was gone, it may be somewhere inside the engine. Old seal apparently shrunk!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post and I figured I'd post this quick fix in case anybody else out there runs into the same problem. I bought a 79 CX500 Custom late last year as a first motorcycle. I love it. Here's a photo of her from last October-

Hope this helps somebody out there. I'm really glad this forum exists and psyched to be a new part of it!
Hi BillP and welcome to the Forum.....very nice job of sharing your sucessful (I hope!) fix.....and kudos on the sharing spirit.

Nice Cx, BTW....

Victor

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very nice! Exactly what I had to do the other day. Unfortunately it did not work and is still leaking from the same area.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hi Bill, and welcome. Very well written and documented article. I think worthy of the wiki if there is someone who knows how to do it!:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Bill, welcome! Yes, a nice write-up. The only thing you missed is how much fun it was to get the cam jacked back up (centered) to get the tach drive housing back on.
Nice to see a local guy here too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts