Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching and haven't found much for this topic.

How difficult is it to fit the '82 custom tank onto a '79 custom? The coils are in the way.

I'd rather not move the coils. Can I shape the tank underneath to fit the frame+coils? If so, what's the best way of shaping it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
Probably the best thing to do is get the coil bracket for an 81 onwards custom.

This is a bolt up piece that will put the coils under the frame out of the way.

Or, you could make something of your own to do the same job.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It's all about the coils. I reworked my bracket and put smaller telco coils on my bike but I also have a bracket in the closet that I probably won't use. Basically it sits the coils sideways instead of facing forward like they do now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thats the difference between the 79 custom tank (11 litre) and later custom tanks (12 litre), the earler version having a wider tunnel on the underside to accomodate the coils alongside the frame. Fitting the later coil mounts allows the use of the later tank with the narrower tunnel and extra litre capacity.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Wax, I think it was only the 79 custom that had the smaller tank, so you shouldn't have a problem.

You are mistaken. The 81-82 are the only that are 3.2 gallons. The 79-80 are 2.9. It's all in the FSM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to holyman1973 being so generous, I got a clip to put the coils under the frame, above the carbs, as you all suggested.

The only hitch I found was that I had to ground the clamp to the frame. I used a battery cable that I had laying around to do so, and now it works great.

Thanks all! I'm really glad my bike is working, finally. (Knocks on wood)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.