Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang.....

First rider sighting here in Minnesota!!

It was today (2/17/11) and it was our third warm sunny day, in the mid to upper 40's......must have been too much for this guy.

He (She?) just had to take her out....good for him!!!!!!!!

I'll just wait another month or two.

Anyone else in colder climates have a sighting?

Greg

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have been riding again around and to work and back since last Saturday. Not as cold here as in the Midwest for sure but has been below freezing in the mornings. I may have been pushing it a bit though, on Tuesday morning it was around 20 F and I came upon a quarter mile of sheet ice on the road, shoulder to shoulder. Lucky it was a straight. As I passed by a pickup in the ditch at about 30 mph I said to the startled driver and the cop standing there "Pretty slippery here!" or something similar. For some reason I stayed up, though the bike was doing sort of a wobbly snakey slidey thing. I had the presence of mind to let the bike do its thing without it having to deal with a 230 lb lump of terrified flesh grabbing at it and it did good! We have been having melting days and freezing nights so the ice in the morning has been a problem.

I saw one bike out yesterday, and another one out today. Won't be long til the streets are crawling with two wheelers again.

G

·
Saw a bike riding on Thurs(Bowmanville ON.).......it was around 8 degrees c(Maybe 45 F) lots of large puddles of salt laden water.

I'll wait for another 4-6 weeks at least,there is way to much salt on the roads here....the stuff gets everywhere when it is mist form that gets sprayed up from tires.

Bikes have too many nooks and crannies for the salt to sit and do it's nasty work,and at this time of year washing the bike is pretty difficult with the cold/frreezing temps

Do I want to ride ....sure ........do I want a swiss cheese frame or oxidized aluminium .....nope

I will ride late into our riding season(end of Nov.) but as soon as the salt trucks come out my bikes get put away until April showers wash most of the salt down the drain...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I've seen/ heard bikes out a lot recently! With my still new paint job, I'm of the mind that I do not want salt and road ick on my bike- not to mention I still have a few things in the works (because as much as I wanted to physically work on the bike over the winter.... I HATE the cold- so I have ideas and drawings, and some cardboard that was cut up while I was making mock ups of what I want before cutting any of the material)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last Saturday and Sunday I went for rides, and last night after work. It's been pretty warm since the weekend, but we had a very cold winter here in Virginia, like most of the U.S.

There is still alot of gravel and debris on the roads so care needs to be taken.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,005 Posts
I will ride late into our riding season(end of Nov.) but as soon as the salt trucks come out my bikes get put away until April showers wash most of the salt down the drain...
Last weekend, I scraped 1/8" thick patches of salt off the garage floor where snow had fallen off the car. It's bad enough in the wheel wells. I don't want that on my bike.

That, and in my little garage I can get to the Grub OR the snowblower, and we might get 4-6" Sunday into Monday. The swap won't happen until we're done with snow.

R

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Temp-wise I could've been riding easily yesterday and today, but due to how grimy and salt covered the roads are I'm going to wait for a while still. The bottom of my truck is coated with salt, I hate to think of what my poor CX would look like. Also the roads are falling apart (at least the roads around me), there are a few pot holes that could swallow me and my cx whole.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
There will more cold weather for all of us. However, it is nice to get a break now & then. Seeing the posts from you folks up in the north land does point out your problem with salt. We have little of that, even with the snow we have had this season. I agree on waiting but it must be hard to have the warm weather and even then not be able to ride!

Gene

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey Graywolf. I've been watching 35 and 494 and 94 for signs of any bike. Not seen any yet. If I didn't live on a muddy frost heaving dirt road I'd be out freezing my buns. Bikes on the road here are a sure sign of spring. Michael.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have been riding again around and to work and back since last Saturday. Not as cold here as in the Midwest for sure but has been below freezing in the mornings. I may have been pushing it a bit though, on Tuesday morning it was around 20 F and I came upon a quarter mile of sheet ice on the road, shoulder to shoulder. Lucky it was a straight. As I passed by a pickup in the ditch at about 30 mph I said to the startled driver and the cop standing there "Pretty slippery here!" or something similar. For some reason I stayed up, though the bike was doing sort of a wobbly snakey slidey thing. I had the presence of mind to let the bike do its thing without it having to deal with a 230 lb lump of terrified flesh grabbing at it and it did good! We have been having melting days and freezing nights so the ice in the morning has been a problem.

I saw one bike out yesterday, and another one out today. Won't be long til the streets are crawling with two wheelers again.

Well Steve, you won't get much road rash if you go down on ice. Kinda like falling off a bobsled.

I just looked at my thermometers (one in the sun, one in the shade) one reads 85* the other reeds 75*. Lovin it. I got the gear carrier back in but now I have a binding issue to work out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Graywolf. I've been watching 35 and 494 and 94 for signs of any bike. Not seen any yet. If I didn't live on a muddy frost heaving dirt road I'd be out freezing my buns. Bikes on the road here are a sure sign of spring. Michael.

Sure signs of spring......

Not today!!!!!

Thermometer in my courtyard says 20 degrees F and it is windy......I'm a thinkin' that most of those bikes seen here the past couple of days are getting a rest.....unless the likes of Sidecar Bob is out and about.

STILL waiting for spring
!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We had some slightly warmer weather this week so I took Wed & Thur afternoons off & road both afternoons. Friday was even better weather wise, but my schedule didn't allow it. Personally I ride any halfway decent weekend all winter if it's 28 or above and the roads are reasonably clear. Fortunately people at work are use to my riding obsession & I can usually get a little time off on short notice when the weather is good. The downside of winter riding is the CX is a filthy mess.

On a different note, I'm happy to have another rider at work. I've been the only rider since a young woman with a Honda Rebel was laid off two years ago. The new guy has a 1980 Honda CB900 with sidecar.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ah, sunny northern California. Short ride in the recently rain-freshened sun, stop for a burger, fries, and a Coke. Nice ride back home. All is well.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sure signs of spring......

Not today!!!!!

Thermometer in my courtyard says 20 degrees F and it is windy......I'm a thinkin' that most of those bikes seen here the past couple of days are getting a rest.....unless the likes of Sidecar Bob is out and about.

STILL waiting for spring
!!!!
Greg and Don,beaches filling up,kids swimming in the sea,28c,and got 175 miles in.spring is coming early.hope you catch up soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greg and Don,beaches filling up,kids swimming in the sea,28c,and got 175 miles in.spring is coming early.hope you catch up soon.

Bandit.......

You are a cruel, cruel man.....

In two days we here went from sun and 40's to 30's and already 5 inches of new snow......

SHEESH!!!!!!!

(I know, it is Minnesnowta).

Greg

·
Registered
802 Posts
You guys are just killing me! I have 12F, an awesome sunny day but there is still almost 2' of snow outside my house, last year though I was able to get past the snow around the house in early march and was able to hit the roads, the main roads sill have salt and silt/sand on them though.

I swear this year if I can keep my bikes I am definitely getting one of them in storage down in Florida. Its getting to be a downright drag only having a couple of months of riding time in Alaska.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used to be disgusted that they never salt they roads here - back when I drove a car. I usually just need to pay attention to the pavement temp. Sanded roads are no fun though. I miss seeing other riders much of year and it's really a joy to see them on nicer days in the poorer riding seasons. I hear that the UK has the similar weather to the pacific northwest and that more riders keep on through the year - any reports from across the pond?

Oh yeah - I have seen a few lately; even had a couple groups that waved back - which always lightens my day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts