Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,015 Posts
I thought I would miss leaning but it would be worth it to not fall when the roads were slippery. It didn't take me long to learn that you can still lean into corners (but only from the waist up) and that it takes a lot more skill to hustle a sidecar outfit around a corner fast without lifting a wheel than it does to lean a bicycle.
And the "riding season" never ends

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The bike is ready, weather tolerable, but my aging knee is acting up:( probably a dormant case of "sportster knee" from my youth. I recall a similar pain when the kickstarter on the old HD let go just before the thrust causing my knee to bang against the shock mount,,,, it's better today, temps heading into the upper 60s this weekend, so I'm optimistic,,, ride safe, have fun:)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
This time of year becomes frustrating for me. I leave for work at about 5:30 in the morning and our temp varies a lot so I'll have mornings that are 30's and it'll get up to 50's or 60's by the end of the work day. I wish I could have some type of transport system that lets me drive in the morning and ride back home in the afternoon!

·
Super Moderator
13,015 Posts
You know the answer to that already.....

When I was working there were a lot of mornings when I could have gone on 2 wheels except for getting out of my own driveway and not knowing the condition of the parking lot at work (or more often knowing its condition and not wanting to try keeping a bike upright on it).
But that was almost never an issue on 3 wheels. In fact, my outfit was the first vehicle in the parking lot on more than one occasion (the one in the background was a parts car belonging to the mechanic next door).

(pic from Feb 2008)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just returned from the another longer test ride,,, no leaks anywhere, runs fine for me, stops good too:) I did a plug chop (high speed shutoff test) and the color of plugs was a half shade darker than optimal, so i got a set of D7ES plugs (non resistor) and installed. The engine does consume a small amount of motor oil, rings, guide seals original far as I know. It's not excessive, but probably adds some color to the plugs. One heat range is not a large amount, and may inhibit some fouling although that hasn't been a problem. Great day to ride north, 20mph winds from south.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The young counter guy at Advance where I obtained plugs has a vt500! We talked tech, his water pump seal is weeping, and stator failed, but he rides it occasionally. I recommended bypass,,, he sail he will wait,,,;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry, GL500, not vt,, so many Hondas,,, and it is Auto zone that has the ngk plugs,,, advance didn't,, brain farts rule!, autocorrect is impossible,,😋

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
First rides done, testing completed😎 after a short ride this am the rear wheel was removed from cx650c to address grease oring that was overlooked initially. Fortunately I discovered the brake stay bolt was loose and held together by safety clip, oring in question also due for replacement. As weather here is awesome, I took the "new" vt1100c out for a gas mileage test,, got 38 on 91 octane no alcohol gas, ok by me as I had drilled baffles in stock exhaust, and rejetted carbs one size larger to accommodate slightly looser exhaust. Stock air intake and filter. Not loud at all, did not sound like a real bike before drilling😎. Plug color checks on both bikes good.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I forgot to mention the 50+ other riders I saw, mostly roving packs on big bikes, a few solo, almost no helmets,,,, we did have a fatality in town last week, head on with a car in an extremely dangerous curve on edge of city limits. 20 yrs old, fast small race bike, helmet but bad wreck, a waste:( RIP Have fun but please ride safe!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts