Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The 650 fired up immediately, ran great for a short putt,,,. It rained in central Iowa last week so sand and salt posed no problems. I also rode the 86vt1100c I got last summer,,,, perfect! Go Honda馃槑. I totally recommend the cheap non vaccuum petcock from ebay, about 6$, all it takes to adapt to a cx is two sizes of fuel lines, a filter and two clamps. No cranking for ever to get fuel, and can run gas out of carbs at idle before parking. No problem in over two years, no rebuilding as its sooo cheap to replace if it fails. Ride safe,, have fun!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Paul, I'm in Ames. Was 59 today but not staying warm,,,. The cx got a quad bypass last winter and no issues since then. The vt1100c has very low miles and only needed tires, fluids, seat cover and carb tuning. Both more fun than new now!

Registered
Hey......Obo515. I'm just North of you in Story City. My '81 CX500C has been sleeping for several years. Before it hits the road some serious maintenance needs to occur. Tires, ignition, stator, battery, cam chain and guides, oil chain......etc.

If I'm fortunate, it will be road worthy late summer. Budget and space constraints.

Previous owner was transferred to China in 2014, in 2020 his work sent him Veit Nam. He sold the bike for little more than a song, because he doesn't expect to come back to USA.

Super Moderator
It is about +8c/46f here tight now. In a little while I will be riding Eccles to the post office to pick up the mail as I do several times per week all winter (you can do that when you have a winter machine with a sidecar) :)

I won't be thinking about taking my summer bike out for at least another 6-8 weeks :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Newt, those rear cover removal procedures require care an鈦皃arts. I went in to the cam chain, the guides I recieved from England are junk, expensive junk, the super cheap stator is great after I coated the coils with jb weld. I put new rollers n ]springs in starter drive, water pump seals, and rae san ignition. Retorqued n new gaskets n seals (speedo drive important). No leaks, runs great! Get after it, they dont fix themselves,,,. And Bob,, good to hear you're still braving the weather in the great white north!

Registered
Yeah.....I know. Right now, I'm hunting parts and will soon be placing orders for all the bits including a raesan with full hall effect.

I know, I'm on the path for an engine drop. So, while I'm in there many parts will be replaced. The bike has almost 47,000 miles on it.

When I got it from the PO, I took it for a test ride. It had some high speed misfires which led to a stator check.........you know the rest of the sequence.

Super Moderator
This has been the mildest winter in memory. Here it is February and the weather is closer to what we used to have in December 25 years ago. Back then I wouldn't even consider going out in Feb without full snowmobile gear; Today I wore the jacket (it was easier than digging out something lighter) but I didn't bother wearing anything over my jeans and I probably could have gone without my mitts for such a short ride in town.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
This has been the mildest winter in memory. Here it is February and the weather is closer to what we used to have in December 25 years ago. Back then I wouldn't even consider going out in Feb without full snowmobile gear; Today I wore the jacket (it was easier than digging out something lighter) but I didn't bother wearing anything over my jeans and I probably could have gone without my mitts for such a short ride in town.
Another observation about my annual spring test rides,,, I have always relied on spark plug condition to determine overall engine function. I do a "plug chop" every year to see the exact color of plugs after a 5mile run at interstate speeds. This entails riding until the exit ramp and killing ignition at speed, pull in clutch and coasting to safe work area. Then plugs are removed, inspected, and if not perfect tan/light gray color something needs attention. The color always seems to be darker when checked after town riding, due to running on lower and mid range carb circuits. Most of my old bikes have had mods to intake and exhaust so carbs often require jet adjustment to obtain optimal performance.

Super Moderator
It snowed here on Wednesday and yesterday. After shovelling off the back deck and running the snow blower for more than an hour (the deepest part was as high as the blower's opening) out front I pushed Eccles out of the garage and went for a short ride to pick up the mail.
It was a nice ride with the siecar but I wouldn't have made it off the driveway on 2 wheels.....

Registered
It was a nice ride with the sidecar but I wouldn't have made it off the driveway on 2 wheels.....
Does that mean that you need more practice flying the chair?:p

Registered
My riding gear finally showed up in the mail today from New Mexico. The roads have thawed so I get to go for my first ride of the year on the Silverwing tomorrow! That will be a good way the start the month of March. The high is only 43* but I鈥檒l have the heated vest on and it will give me a chance to try out the Oxford heated grips my daughter bought me. I am ready for the riding season!

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hope your ride went well! The new gear sounds comfy:) I had a fuel leak from the pipes between the carbs, pulled them again and replaced the orings, back together and running great again! Good weather for the rest of the week so it's riding time:)

Registered
The ride was so good I did another long one today. So nice to be out on two wheels! My gear isn鈥檛 new, I shipped my gear to NM to do a motorcycle trip with my dad and then shipped it back home. I was getting impatient because it was two days late. Enjoy your riding this week with the now repaired fuel leak! Weather is looking good for me too!

Registered
FWIW, I think today was the second time this year I wore an open helmet.
But it was a short ride at in town speeds...
I don鈥檛 own one. All I have is full faced helmets. Well, the only one I wear now is a modular helmet. I love that one. Do you wear an open face helmet all summer?

Super Moderator
Yes, unless I have to go out in a really bad storm and want protection from wind blown debris &c.

I don't like full helmets because the chin bar blocks my view of the controls so I have to tilt my head down to see them, which means my eyes are off the road a lot longer than they would be in an open helmet. At some point you have to make a choice between better protection in the event of a crash and less chance of having the accident.
BUT when it is cold out I want the extra warmth so I wear a full helmet and drive a bit more cautiously (as we all should in winter), following a bit farther back, avoiding traffic &c to make up for it.
My current winter helmet is a GM54S (the snowmobile version of the GM54), which gives me the best of both worlds, closed for warmth when needed bit I can open it if I find myself in traffic.

Registered
I love the spring. I was able to go for a couple rides back in Jan but it鈥檚 finally getting time for regular rides to work. My own personal comfort level is anything above 40, sorry, I鈥檓 getting old I guess or maybe I鈥檓 just a baby but anything lower than 40 and it鈥檚 too cold for 20miles of interstate. Stay safe all.

Super Moderator
It all depends on how the bike is set up. With a fairing, lowers, hand guards, handlebar heaters &c and the right gear (snowmobile suits are designed to keep you warm when it is a lot colder out than that but even just wearing a rainsuit over your regular cool weather gear can make a huge difference) my biggest concern about a ride that long at that temperature would be that it might get colder and start to snow before the return trip.
And a sidecar could fix that too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts