Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently picked picked up a 1981 Honda CX500 shadow that is in need of a bit of TLC. The engine is running well and the bike is free of rust however the front fairing is cracked and there is need of some electrical work. The first step is to get the electrics sorted and then personalise it a bit. I'm thinking of ditching the fairing all together and going for some new clip on bars and mirrors as well as going for a more naked feel. I'd love some advice on good ideas for how to go about systematically rewiring (especially the headlight and gauges) and any mods that are worth looking into.
I'm excited to get started.
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 12.43.18 pm.png

Thanks team!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to make an entire wiring harness for my GL500 project. I pretty much just bought as many different colors of wire that I could find on amazon, sat down with a wiring diagram and started hammering it out. Make sure you label EVERYTHING, both ends. When you rough the harness together, test it out on the bike with wire nuts, if all is good cover it in cloth electrical tape, use legit bullet connectors, heat shrink tubing and then some split loom over as much of it as you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pretty much just bought as many different colors of wire that I could find on amazon, sat down with a wiring diagram and started hammering it out. Make sure you label EVERYTHING, both ends. When you rough the harness together, test it out on the bike with wire nuts, if all is good cover it in cloth electrical tape, use legit bullet connectors, heat shrink tubing and then some split loom over as much of it as you can.
Thanks for the advice mate. Looks like i have some shopping in my future.

Thanks JC i'll definitely look into the pegs to change riding position when i get up to that. I hadn't thought of it.
As for the electrics the wiring from the light controls to the lights needs to be redone first up as neither light comes on from the main control however the bulbs work. That said a lot of the wiring has been fixed poorly by the previous owner and so it may turn into a larger job even though everything else currently works. The gauges will need to be replaced (I have a set ready to go) as the speedo needle no longer sits at 0 at the temp section is cracked. I'll aim to do this when i move the system from the fairing mounts to the original position on the steering column. I have a bit of work ahead of me but that's half the fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know how tall you are, but I am REALLY short and on my cafe build the first time I used a clubman style of bar, still pretty low without being obnoxiously low. Although I didn't like the riding position so I got some drag style bars that are nice and flat, but allow me to maintain a standard type of riding position for longer rides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts