Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

im new to the bike world. i just got a 79 cx500 and after recently getting it tuned up and running beautifully, im having a serious problem. the gears wont shift out of neutral!!

ive taken it back to the shop and they say its not a clearance or clutch issue. and as its the start of the season they dont have the time or space to drop the engine and find out what the problem is.

so looks like im going to do the investigating myself. ive never done anything like this. any advice before i make serious mistakes would be very appreciated. i have the clymers manual and a mechanical mind but no experience.

please help.

thank you.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
More information please.

Does the shift lever move? Has someone had the rear cover off recently? Is the shift lever bent and interfering with something? If the shift lever moves, does it spring back? Is the drive shaft connected?

Put the bike on the center stand, rotate the wheel and shift (engine off) to see if anything engages.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had the bike been shifting decently up until recently?

A couple of years ago, I suddenly had a no shift condition on an '82 CX500 that I used to own. The problem on that bike was that a piece of the cam chain tensioner had broken off and strategically wedged itself underneath the sector gears of the shift mechanism. To repair the problem, I had to pull the motor and remove the rear engine cover. So in my case there was nothing wrong with the shift mechanism or transmission but just a piece of junk blocking motion.

In your case, I'd put the bike up on the centerstand and then yank the shift lever up and down by hand. You don't need to pull in the clutch while trying to get the shifter to move. Sometimes mechanisms jam and jiggling frees them up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dash!

i wish i had read this post before. I ended up dropping the engine today and taking off the back cover. And wouldn't you know it, the second i cracked the engine open a BUNCH OF PIECES started falling out. Turns out it was exactly what you described. The cam chain guide on the tensioner side had been obliterated. I'm assuming the coder pin that holds the bolt in that assembly had come out and the chain ended up doing some serious damage to the engine case, obliterating the guide in the process. I remember dropping the bike taking it off the centre stand (oops) right before i had problems shifting. That must have been what dislodged some of those pieces, sending them to the bottom to interfere with the shifting.

Now the only issue is getting a new cam chain guide and engine gasket (and possibly new cam chain too, i don't know how worn it is yet). any ideas?

i had lots of people put in their two cents so thanks for yours, they were on the money.

jesse

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Go to a honda dealer or Discount honda parts online. In the quick reference there is a thing explaining how to get a discount. Some prices have went down recently for tensioners. But I cant remember if the chain price dropped. Someone had info on a $60 chain this last month. Maybe they will chime in.

Besides that we like pictures.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Someone had info on a $60 chain this last month. Maybe they will chime in.

Besides that we like pictures.
that was Jay....little buffelo
look for one of his many recent threads

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the parts source. i ended up going to ready honda, they had everything i needed for a reasonable price too. only they didnt have one part. the cam cgain tensioner ARM part number 14510-415-000.

its a cheap part that seems to be available over the internet but the shipping is killer. anyone know someone with a parts engine in canada?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
thanks for the parts source. i ended up going to ready honda, they had everything i needed for a reasonable price too. only they didnt have one part. the cam cgain tensioner ARM part number 14510-415-000.

its a cheap part that seems to be available over the internet but the shipping is killer. anyone know someone with a parts engine in canada?

If you do not mind my asking how much did the chain and such cost you?

I ordered the same chain as Jay.

The rest I am ordering from the discount Honda place on in the general info section.

Do you really need that tensioner arm? It looks like a part that would not wear out quickly.

I ask because if you need it I might need it and for $15 I would order it just on principal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the chain was 80$, not super cheap, but they're close by and had everything i needed in two days.

the tensioner arm on my bike got damaged such that the hole in the lobe that holds the pin is now open.

luckily i found someone with a parts engine on this forum that's just giving away two 75% complete cx bikes.

i'm not taking the motherload, but boltonguy (who is taking them) said i could grab the arm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.