Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notta good idea ..... I know ..... Couldn't help it ..... Started as a run to my pops house n I just kept goin .... Had all my gear on n only did over 45 - 50 ... Accept a few stretches along fields where I could see the coast was clear
then I'd giver a lil hell .... Only time that I really did was awesome tho .... Shifted from fourth ... Looked down n was doin 105 .... So ..... I guess this was also my first time doin three digits on the girl also

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, Glad it was an "eventless ride" as Im not sure about others, but I use my front brake almost exclusively and just couldnt imagine riding without it. My rear one works good, but I doubt it has what is needed if I needed to stop fast. I know what a thrill it is to open her up, but its kind of like rolling the dice, and the momentary thrill really isnt even close to worth it if something goes wrong.

Ride safe and get the front working, as I would really love it if from this day forward there was not a single story of someone having an accident

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Im not totally sure on which ones are the same, as I do know the 82 shadow 750 ones DO have bigger pistons and wont bolt up to the CX forks. I know most of the CX/GL used either single or double piston calipers, but not sure what you have on yours. I know mine has a dual piston caliper, probabaly because the 82 CX500 has only one caliper on the front, some have two. I would say since yours has a single rotor I would go for a dual piston one. I am pretty sure any dual piston caliper from a CX500/650 would work as long as it was a left mount one (i know they do have right mount ones for dual disc )

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dual disk aye? That sure sounds like a sweet upgrade .... Would need different forks tho ? Prolly would wanna make that a winter project ....

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm glad you had a good ride, but I might suggest maybe not ever riding it again until you have a front brake? That's just not a good idea no matter how you spin it, and I hate to say it but you are pretty lucky you managed to get away without injury or worse. Rear braking only will either not slow you enough in time or worse will put you into a rear skid, which often leads to a high side accident (bad). I'm seeing a lot of first timers and new people on here, which is great, but be SMART people, and be safe.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i understand riding with out a front brake is bad but what the hell i did it for a long ass time you just plan the stops a lot sooner but what the hell do i know i am just a young guy at 27 and yes i do know that the front gives you 3/4 of the stopping power but ifyou only have a rear brake what the hell are you supposed to do??? I look at it like this as long as you dont slam on the rear brake you should be good......

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
i understand riding with out a front brake is bad but what the hell i did it for a long ass time you just plan the stops a lot sooner

Yeah,,but not all stops are "planned", so what then??

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah,,but not all stops are "planned", so what then??

then you have to wipe the seat off.......

ok look i am not trying to say its a good idea to run with out a front brake because its not its just plain stupid but i guess in my case i was used to riding with only the rear because of riding dirt bikes so i dont know but let me repeat i am not agreeing with the its ok to run with just the rear brake but do please get the brake fixed

·
Registered
840 Posts
i understand riding with out a front brake is bad but what the hell i did it for a long ass time you just plan the stops a lot sooner but what the hell do i know i am just a young guy at 27 and yes i do know that the front gives you 3/4 of the stopping power but ifyou only have a rear brake what the hell are you supposed to do??? I look at it like this as long as you dont slam on the rear brake you should be good......

Uh, don't ride it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You were going 105 Is that MPH or KPH? If it is MPH then you had that thing flat out didn't you??

I am not sure about anyone else but I do not want to go 105 MPH on one of these bikes, unless I have it it MINT condition AND I am on a track.

I agree with everyone else. If you can plan your stops three quarters of a mile out just rear brakes is no biggie.

If you have to stop or slow down a lot NOW because of some A$$ hat other driver your in a bad place with just rear brakes. Fix it as soon as possible. I would hate to hear about your pretty bike getting torn up by a wreck. Oh and it would suck if you got hurt too.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You were going 105 Is that MPH or KPH? If it is MPH then you had that thing flat out didn't you??

I am not sure about anyone else but I do not want to go 105 MPH on one of these bikes, unless I have it it MINT condition AND I am on a track.

I agree with everyone else. If you can plan your stops three quarters of a mile out just rear brakes is no biggie.

If you have to stop or slow down a lot NOW because of some A$$ hat other driver your in a bad place with just rear brakes. Fix it as soon as possible. I would hate to hear about your pretty bike getting torn up by a wreck. Oh and it would suck if you got hurt too.

That's a pretty nice CX650 in his picture. He probably could have hit 105 without leaving 4th.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
I did it on the Grub once, trying to outrun a summer storm in Iowa. Sitting bolt upright with my luggage strapped on behind me. Once above 90 or 95, it was smooth as glass.
But with the weak high-speed coil in my alternator (pre-Ignitech), it took forever to get up there.

Oh yeah, I still didn't outrun the storm.

R

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I'd rather walk than ride without a front brake. I'll still get there, maybe not as fast but just as safe.

That's all I got ta say about that.

Fib

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.