Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I thought I would post some pictures of my first build that I am working on. Its been about 3 and a half months since I started the tear down and rebuild process though it feels more like a year. Its far from being completed but I keep picking away on it as I get free time.

Not all the bolts are in place or tightened but the pictures will give you guys a rough idea of my build. Also my rear tire is on backwards and will be returned to the chump who put it on backwards for a fix. Other than that I hope you guys enjoy. Its far from completion but it will get there eventually.

A special thanks to my father who is helping me with the build, without his knowledge and tools this project would not be possible!

A shout out to Larry for the carbs and the rest of the great folks on here! Your help has been greatly appreciated!

Thanks for checking it out!

Bike Pics!

My to-do list:

1. Mount blinkers

2. Finish one-off footpegs

3. Seat

4. Cables & electronics

5. Replace transmission gasket

6. Reattach rad

7. Attach one-off battery box housing a Ballistic battery

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
good luck on your build,its looking good

here is a taste..............

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I believe your rear tire is on backwards. Better check that out. You don't want water funneling under the tire causing a hydroplane.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe your rear tire is on backwards. Better check that out. You don't want water funneling under the tire causing a hydroplane.

Blindstitch -Good eye! You are 100% correct, as I stated in my post it will be going back to the chump who put it on backwards...

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Being an artist I automatically skipped the text and went to the pictures. Besides that I should go to bed since I got off work an hour ago.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A great start!! Looking forward to "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blindstich- not to worry! It was late and pics are what I look at first!

Bob witte- thanks! Can't wait for it to be finished up and rideable!

Just installed switches for in handlebar wiring and started on mounting the rear signals!

Being thinking about the seat and what I should upholster with! Vinyl or leather... Thoughts?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Leather would be higher maintenance but would look nice. I'd probably just opt for a heavy duty vinyl but that's just my opinion. Humidy and leather don't go real well. If you keep conditioner on it it could work though.

Nice clean build so far. I like your fender chops and paint. Are those just the stock ones ground down?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good call! I have been debating back and forth between the two but I just made an order for a high quality vinyl (not cheap). I havent picked it up yet but the sample was nice!

Thanks for the compliments! I am pretty particular about the build and taking the time to do things right! The fenders were the original and I freehanded the lines with a sharpy and used a grinder for cutting. Turned out better than I expected so I'm pleased!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bandit- thanks for the comment! It's coming along. I'm a bit worried about the electrical as I have no experience and I have changed all the switches but the current electrical harness is a rats nest so its going to take some time as well as I have routing to figure out for a few things. But I'll keep this post updated as I tick things off the list!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally new switches installed... one step closer!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going for minimal to declutter the handle bars, a bit of a process to install but I think they turned out! The tac I am really pleased with as I didn't want a weld like the wrenchmonkees cx.

Mike - the lighting and picture quality is poor but there is no plate as of right now. Iv ran the choke up through the headset so I might fab up a plate that works around it but well see. Currently I have just screwed 4 black hex bolts into the screw holes to fill them for the time being!

Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike are you meaning a plate in regards to the tac mount?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, sorry I wasn't more clear. Looks like there is a plate or bracket holding the speedo/tach.

Not to worry Mike! I ended up using a piece of aluminum I had in my garage. I used the existing bracket mount that came with the Speedo as a guide and created my own to fit the screw holes located in the "U" of the triple tree. I bent the new plate a bit for the right angle and added a nut in between for the right spacing.

Heres a pic from underneath showing the plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Creative! Thanks for the description and picture. I'm like the annoying neighbor that keeps looking over the hedge at what you are doing, ROFL. Keep up the attention to detail it's looking really sharp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Mike! Your more than welcome to be that annoying neighbor peeking over the hedge, it's never a bad thing

Im working my last night tonight and than off for 5 days so hoping to get a lot done! Will post some pics ASAP!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally new switches installed... one step closer!

That looks Awesome! So How did you clean up the front end so much? (Meaning all the switches). Ive been trying it for a while but cant find space to relocate everything. I want it to look exactly like this. just clutch and break. Did you use a kit or how did you do it? Excuse my ignorance. I just started customizing...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.