·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I did the starter test and its good, according to that link. The red wire, coming out of the rectifier, I have 12 volts, that should be the power that the switch power (black wire) uses to crank, right? I don’t know where I’m loosing this power. Starting to think it might be the rectifier

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
I've never heard of a rectifier that had enough internal problems to make it decrease the voltage supplied by a fully charged battery. You have been re-charging the battery after every few attempts at starting, haven't you?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
No, the black wire is sending current into the regulator/rectifier, the red is feeding power out to the system. A red wire runs from the battery to the key switch. When the key is in the on position the red (in) and black (out) are connected and thus the black wire supplies current to the entire system. A black wire supplies current to the start switch. When the start button is pressed the black and yellow/red are connected. The yellow/red supplies current to the starter solenoid.

Note that what I wrote above assumes stock switches. I suspect that your switches and wiring are no longer stock. Does your bike have the stock key switch? Do you have 12 volts on the black wire coming from the key switch when the key is in the on position?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I know how to read a wiring diagram Bob. o_O

·
Super Moderator
22,553 Posts
Are you two talking at cross purposes about the RR black 'sense' wire that monitors the voltage for the RR to supply power to the battery through its red wire?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I didn't think that I was.:unsure:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've never heard of a rectifier that had enough internal problems to make it decrease the voltage supplied by a fully charged battery. You have been re-charging the battery after every few attempts at starting, haven't you?
I check my battery before I start working everyday, haven’t charged it since Friday and have attempted to start a couple times now, I’ll charge it tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I meant Amad. Nearly everything he has asked is in that drawing.
For the most part I do understand how to read a diagram, but I am also only 20 and this is my first main project that I’m working on. I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me on this. I apologize as I am just confused.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No need to apologize, we hang out here to help. SCBob can sometimes come across as a hard a&&, but he is very knowledgeable, generous, big hearted AND PRECISE. He'll grow on you after a bit. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No, the black wire is sending current into the regulator/rectifier, the red is feeding power out to the system. A red wire runs from the battery to the key switch. When the key is in the on position the red (in) and black (out) are connected and thus the black wire supplies current to the entire system. A black wire supplies current to the start switch. When the start button is pressed the black and yellow/red are connected. The yellow/red supplies current to the starter solenoid.

Note that what I wrote above assumes stock switches. I suspect that your switches and wiring are no longer stock. Does your bike have the stock key switch? Do you have 12 volts on the black wire coming from the key switch when the key is in the on position?
Sorry for the late reply. Haven’t been able to get to the bike, at the key switch, I don’t have power at the black wire when key is on. I have power at the red.

·
Super Moderator
22,553 Posts
Power goes in on red, out on black with key 'on'. Your switch contacts are dirty, burned out or the bottom is hanging off of the switch allowing the two halves of the contacts to separate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My ignition switch was bad. I tried another and it will now crank, with key on and off the button. Thanks guys, now I’m dealing with a fuel issue. If I spray a dab of starting fluid it will turn over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My ignition switch was bad. I tried another and it will now crank, with key on and off the button. Thanks guys, now I’m dealing with a fuel issue. If I spray a dab of starting fluid it will turn over.
Sorry, it will half start. Give me a little rev

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sorry, it will half start. Give me a little rev
I’m sure there is other forums on this carb issue, but I’m only getting fuel to one carb, only on the driver side (referring to a car), the other side is completely bone dry

21 - 40 of 48 Posts