Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I'm excited for my first post here. This is a first for me in more than one way but I've had a great time reading around.

So I bought my first bike with "20,000" miles on it, worn tires, loose head tube bearing, and instruments that don't work. I've picked out a pair of shinko 712s, 130/90 16 for the back, 100/90 19 for the front and I've read and heard a lot of mixed reviews about new bearing that do and don't fit or that will and will not work without machine mod.

I have the least amount of direction with the instruments panel. Nothing works but the headlights and turns.. Speedo tach odometer temp meter... Nothing including basic troubleshooting advice in my Manuel. It may be more than I can hack but I'd like to run so e basic tests at least. Anyone in the Portland Oregon area?

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Welcome to the best CX/GL forum around, Parker. I'm not too far away, just across the Columbia in the Couve. I am not much help other than advice, but we do have a good many locals around that could probably guide and perhaps lend a hand.

The gauges are something you can usually find on the fleabay or similar. Perhaps someone in the buy/sell section here has some for you. By the way, check the WIKI for a free download of the factory service manual for your bike, it will be your best friend in many ways. *see my links below*

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's good news that we've got a presence in the area. Do you think I should start with new gauges though? I would think that all the gauges not moving at all could indicate a bad connection and god help me, a simple diagnosis. It's as if they aren't getting power. The headlights turning signals horns brake lights all work fine. The oil light and neutral light work fine too when I fiddle with the ignition enough( the buyer said the key plate was the source of this problem)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Hey folks I'm excited for my first post here. This is a first for me in more than one way but I've had a great time reading around.

So I bought my first bike with "20,000" miles on it, worn tires, loose head tube bearing, and instruments that don't work. I've picked out a pair of shinko 712s, 130/90 16 for the back, 100/90 19 for the front and I've read and heard a lot of mixed reviews about new bearing that do and don't fit or that will and will not work without machine mod.

I have the least amount of direction with the instruments panel. Nothing works but the headlights and turns.. Speedo tach odometer temp meter... Nothing including basic troubleshooting advice in my Manuel. It may be more than I can hack but I'd like to run so e basic tests at least. Anyone in the Portland Oregon area?
1)Welcome to the forum 2)When you get a chance, please download the Factory Service Manual so that everyone is on the same page. Its somewhere for free on the forum. 3)Please order a Clymers, or a Haynes repair manual- they're handy with the pictures and stuff. 4)You can ask any question you care to- we don't believe in "dumb questions" however we also reserve the right to give flip answers!:p

The bike is "Iffy" as in "iffy I don't know when any maintence was done". So plan on doing the 10,500 mile service and all the services in between. The FSM says to replace the bearings at 10,500 miles. My mechanic says if they're good keep using them just clean and grease. Other than that I suggest study study study until you know what you want to accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Thanks that's good news that we've got a presence in the area. Do you think I should start with new gauges though? I would think that all the gauges not moving at all could indicate a bad connection and god help me, a simple diagnosis. It's as if they aren't getting power. The headlights turning signals horns brake lights all work fine. The oil light and neutral light work fine too when I fiddle with the ignition enough( the buyer said the key plate was the source of this problem)
As Murray points out, the speedo and tach are mechanical, cable driven. The issue with the intermittent ignition switch needs attention too, ground connections likely a culprit. Check all connections thoroughly.

If you can post pics, that might help us.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Now you've got me thinking that direction? Check the fuses and keep a few extra- AND you might want to consider upgrading the 30 amp fuse that's next to the battery from the factory original to something a bit easier to replace and work on.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Clean your ignition switch. Easy to do.

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Cleaning+the+Ignition+Switch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picture 7.png thanks for the advice. I took a closer look and seem to have found the source of the problem? Would this hack job cause intermittent trouble with the neutral oil and head lights? I saw a thread about drilling holes as a repair option, and also found a aftermarket product online.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts