Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just got my first bike had a couple of questions about maintaining it and some things I noticed since I've been riding. I was actually on a ride when it cut off on me. I took off the oil cap and all this oil started coming out and it smelled like gas.

My buddy says I need to rebuild the top-end of the engine. I've been looking around and this seems like the best place to find information on this style of bike since I've come to realize its kind of a rarity/oddity.

I was also wondering what I should consider as far as general maintenance? I plan to replace the rear break pads, replace the clutch cable and generally make sure its running the best it can be before I start to customize it any.

Also where's a good place to get my seat modified? As you can see from the pic, it really doesn't have a seat, but some sort of cushion situation that the previous owner rigged up, but I do have the original seat and even though I haven't tried to reattach it, it looks kind of bulky blockish. Is there a good place to send it for modification? I'd like more a bobber style seat, but I've seen some neat things done with the cafe racer style.

This is my first thread and I'm new to this so any and everything you guys think I should know about this bike as I go forward I really appreciate your advice.

-Bang

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Several tips off the top. One, put your bike details in your signature via the profile section. Then we always know what you have. Second, go to the WIKI link below and you will find just about everything you need, including a full factory service manual you can download, and it has a great search engine. After you spend days reading all that, feel free to hit us up.

Keep in mind, getting a bike running right first is paramount....the rest comes later. All you need is here.

Welcome aboard,

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome aboard - you're going to love working on that bike.

+1 For Ramprat's suggestion - read, read, read, read. I've owned my '81 Custom for 5 years and really just started doing the mechanical work on it last year. What I've learned is that after 30 years of maintaining these bikes by some of the folks on this forum, there are very few items that haven't been experienced by others and dealt with. I've had a couple of instances where the answer was already there in the wiki - I just didn't go look for it (a unique kind of burning shame I wish to avoid in the future) :)

If you want a terrific thread to read, search for Sweetbeat's '81 CX500 story - it's about 42 pages of well documented refurbing, maint, and repairs on your bike, and was a valuable asset to me on many occasions.

Ron

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks for the info guys. I ordered the Clymers repair manual last week and plan on spending a weekend looking that over when it arrives. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts