Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@Thumper,

When we met you mentioned bringing a first aid kit on group rides and you actually used it once, coming upon a downed rider not in your party. What do you like in your kit? Everybody, please chime in.

I have a kit I put together when I started my Seasonal Election Deputy position. I realized, from doing this work before, that it is good to have someone certified in First Aid/CPR/AED, so I got re-certified. (My first certification was when I was a personal aid to an autistic child.)

For that kit, along with the standard household stuff. I have:

CPR mask, Nitrile gloves, Roll elastic bandage. Large Gauze pads, Gel stop bleeding pads (for gunshot wounds but can be used to stop other bleeding), tourniquet.
I also added a small jump battery to my tool kit. I think I'll put an old cellphone in too. (911 can be called without time or a subscription.) I have one in my car in case my smart phone is damaged.

Lee In Minneapolis

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just thought of a couple other items. Watching crash vids on YouTube, folks need something to lay their heads on when they take their helmets off and are laying on the ground. I have an inflatable pillow i can pack. I also need to get a space blanket. Folks often suffer from shock. And, of course, water and maybe an energy bar and salt tablets. I always carry antihistamine, aspirin and Ibuprofen on my keychain..

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to evaluate the injuries before you do anything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
First task is to call 911 to get Emergency Services enroute.

Second task, leave the helmet on and DO NOT MOVE the victim. Only time to move the victim is if in immediate danger, ie fire.

Third, DO NOT remove any impaling items.

Otherwise, basic first aide until the Emergency Services arrives. IE, bandaging, direct pressure on bleeding wounds.

Remember, ride safe, ride smart, ATGATT.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First task is to call 911 to get Emergency Services enroute.
Remember, ride safe, ride smart, ATGATT.
You always have to assess the situation. To follow proper protocol, you need to first secure the environment to make sure no further injuries occur. If CPR is required, you may need to start it before calling 911 because seconds matter. But yes, after securing the environment, you usually call 911 first. The helmet removal depends on the nature of the injury. You cannot do full CPR with a full helmet in place, so you may have to remove it.
If you ride a bike (every one actually) please get certified in FirstAid/CPR/AED AED kits are becoming more affordable. I am thinking about getting one.

Non-certified individuals are recommended to only do chest compressions. If you are certified, breaths and compressions are recommended.

But back to the topic before it was hijacked:
What do you have in your motorcycle first aid kit, especially for group rides?
Thanks! I just ordered space blankets.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot two items I keep on the motorcycle (I have them in the car too): A Smith & Wesson rescue folding knife that includes a glass beaker and a seat belt cutter. You are probably more likely to come across an auto accident than a motorcycle accident. Also, a flashlight.
The flashlight in the car I keep in the door is solar powered and can charge a phone, and has a compass, a glass breaker and a seat belt cutter. I also have fire escape hoods in the glovebox. I have these hoods in our nightstands too.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is a little emergency story. While I was in college, on a trip to the in-law's farm, I came across a dump truck carrying gravel that tipped & fell on its side on a corner. Gravel went everywhere.
There were management types standing at a distance from the cab. I walked up, and headed to the cab and one of the guys in a shirt & tie stopped me & said,

"Don't go near. Fuel is leaking and it might explode."

I was working in the yard at UPS fueling tractors and delivery trucks and knew the smell. I said,

"Not likely to explode. It is diesel fuel leaking"

So I pushed past them and talked to the driver who was pinned in the truck. I climbed up and opened the door (was not easy) and could see that his seat was jammed against his leg and that was why he couldn't get out.

One of the management types said (They followed me to the cab), "We will have to wait for rescue to arrive."

I could see what was trapping his leg, so I went to my VW bug to get what I needed.
I came back with a jack and was able to free the driver's leg with the jack. He was uninjured.
He thanked me profusely and I left before any emergency help arrived.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know about any others but I have a DNR in place. Will make sure my fellow riders know that. The last thing I want is someone with an AED zapping me on the side of the road
AEDs are frequently used diagnostically, without a a current being administered. They are an incredible piece of equipment.

But maybe you need a Tattoo? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dug out my Klymit Crush inflatable pillow. It is a yard long. You fold it to make a pillow. But I realized it could be used to make yourself neck brace or even for direct pressure on a limb wound. Might be useful combined with a hemostatic patch.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a cool Military BSA at Diamond's the last time I was there. Had a rifle scabbard that my M1 Carbine would look good in. Can you carry an unloaded locked rifle on a motorcycle? I bet it varies, state by state.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did they see military service?
I owned a Norton.
The Brough Superior was definitely a "wartime machine"-but no extensive service as far as I know-back then they were the equivalent $ to an English cottage.
Also to quite from wikipedia :
"In 1940, World War II brought an end to production as the factory was engaged on war work, completing crankshafts for Rolls Royce Merlin engines...." [

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is interesting to know that the Japanese made Harleys and the Russians made BMWs during the war, without licensing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It is interesting to know that the Japanese made Harleys and the Russians made BMWs during the war, without licensing.
Yep-the Russian history I think sidecar Bob touched on in the Zoom as well.
There was also several French horizontal twins as well-their history eludes me at this point....maybe just influenced by BMW?....
Sorry if I've digressed from the original topic

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry if I've digressed from the original topic
I am the biggest digressor. :alien: Nobody seems interested in first aid kits, so why not?

This is the maker of Harleys in Japan. Rikuo Internal Combustion Company 陸王 (Rikuō Nainenki Kabushiki kaisha)

Maybe our bikes wouldn't exist if it weren't for the connection?

Rikuo was one of the first motorcycle manufacturing companies in Japan. In the early 1930s Rikuo operated under the license and name of Harley-Davidson, using their tooling, and later under the name Rikuo until 1958. Harley-Davidson themselves did not publicize this Japanese connection because the Japanese were helped in developing mass-production techniques by the introduction of this factory into Japan just prior to the Second World War.The Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (in Japanese) rates the 1935 Rikuoh Large Motorcycle as one of their 240 Landmarks of Japanese Automotive Technology.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am the biggest digressor. :alien: Nobody seems interested in first aid kits, so why not?

This is the maker of Harleys in Japan. Rikuo Internal Combustion Company 陸王 (Rikuō Nainenki Kabushiki kaisha)

Maybe our bikes wouldn't exist if it weren't for the connection?

Rikuo was one of the first motorcycle manufacturing companies in Japan. In the early 1930s Rikuo operated under the license and name of Harley-Davidson, using their tooling, and later under the name Rikuo until 1958. Harley-Davidson themselves did not publicize this Japanese connection because the Japanese were helped in developing mass-production techniques by the introduction of this factory into Japan just prior to the Second World War.The Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (in Japanese) rates the 1935 Rikuoh Large Motorcycle as one of their 240 Landmarks of Japanese Automotive Technology.
View attachment 202371
Theres a lot of cross-pollination/influence it seems in design/influence
Thank you for this inclusion-something I wasn't aware of.(y)

I seem to recall that the founder of Triumph was German....
Maybe bikes, like other things allow us to realize that globally we share a common passion and any nationalist prejudice is totally misplaced....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts