Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike to me starts and idles but it’s choppy.
First day I cleaned the carbs, and replaces the Spark plugs...like every project. Still wast running great, so I unplugged the plug caps one at a time and the left hand cylinder isn’t firing. Should I replace the ignition coils? What’s my plan of attack here?

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
Have you tested the spark?

Pull the screw from the balance port on the intake runner on the side that's not firing and see if it will begin to fire when you squirt a little fuel in.

If it still doesn't fire we'll come back to the ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked spark, The left side is now running but i still think is cutting in and out when it warms up. Im removing Carbs today to clean once more, i dont believe i did a good enough job the first time.

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
No fire on left?

Left hand low speed coil out of spec?

there's your problem.

And the stator's not too healthy either.

I'm sure someone will still tell you that you have a carb issue though. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, So i ordered a Rebuild Kit for the carbs, And ordered a set of ignition Coils that test out. ill also order a new Stator. That should be it right?

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
No, that low speed pickup is not part of the stator and is not available new.

A better option would be a raesan hall effect ignition as it replaces the function of both stator and high and low speed left and right coils.

If you go for original style you will need a G47 CDI stator, not a G8 charge only stator. You will also need to run a want ad here in selling and buying for a used left low and high speed pickup and splice it in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, that low speed pickup is not part of the stator and is not available new.

A better option would be a raesan hall effect ignition as it replaces the function of both stator and high and low speed left and right coils.

If you go for original style you will need a G47 CDI stator, not a G8 charge only stator. You will also need to run a want ad here in selling and buying for a used left low and high speed pickup and splice it in.
So by installing the Hall ignition it’s like updating the ignition system to something more modern? Is it difficult to install? Am I able to switch to a Lithium battery using this system or will I also need to update the rectifier?

·
Super Moderator
20,776 Posts
The hall effect will replace all of the ignition components within the engine. The hardest part is fitting the hall sensor which installs into the back of the engine where the ignition advance coils currently live. This is under the small cover at the back of the motor, not the main rear cover - though you'll be removing this anyway if you're to be fitting a new stator. This is the time to fit the hall. While you can see it clearly and have easy access. Fitting the hall is an easy job made difficult by location and access.

But still an easier job than replacing a failed left low and high speed coil.

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
Am I able to switch to a Lithium battery using this system or will I also need to update the rectifier?
If going with a lithium ion battery it is wise to use a MOSFET style regulator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hall effect will replace all of the ignition components within the engine. The hardest part is fitting the hall sensor which installs into the back of the engine where the ignition advance coils currently live. This is under the small cover at the back of the motor, not the main rear cover - though you'll be removing this anyway if you're to be fitting a new stator. This is the time to fit the hall. While you can see it clearly and have easy access. Fitting the hall is an easy job made difficult by location and access.

But still an easier job than replacing a failed left low and high speed coil.
So I slept on it. I’m extremely nervous about dropping the Motor, and getting into the project that deep. At least at first. I’m wondering what are the odds if I replace the defective ignition coils, do a carb rebuild....will my bike run for the time being. I understand it won’t be show worthy. But maybe it lasts me through the summer?

I’m also slowly building my garage, I moved to California last year and didn’t bring any of my machinery. So everytime I start a project I need to buy the tools to do so......it gets expensive

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
If your current stator is charging properly (no short to ground from any of the three yellow wires, no resistance between them), you won't need to replace it. Just install the Rae-san Hall effect assembly to take over the ignition function. That's all outside work.

Randall

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@CXPHREAK i think I figured out the issue. When I rebuilt the carbs the last thing I checked was the accelerator diaphragm and it was super grimy! Sand mud, the whole nine.
Got one coming in the mail on Thursday, hopefully that was it.

·
Super Moderator
3,876 Posts
@CXPHREAK i think I figured out the issue. When I rebuilt the carbs the last thing I checked was the accelerator diaphragm and it was super grimy! Sand mud, the whole nine.
Got one coming in the mail on Thursday, hopefully that was it.
You may have said this elsewhere, but how did you clean the carbs? Did you remove all the jets and do an ultrasonic cleaning? Carb Cleaning by Larry - Honda CX and GL Wiki

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea every part of the carb was ran through the ultrasonic cleaner. And I purchased a rebuild kit that had bigger jets, seals, needle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts