Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, do you have any links/websites for a Canadian store that sells firestone vintage style motorcycle tires?

Checked around here and no one carries them, and hoping to avoid big shipping/duty/exchange charges buying from the USA.

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It's a good thing no one carries them they are awful dangerous poser tires

Members here that have bought them have removed them

Pm member flying elvis he had some
I like cool but be safe!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any vintage looking tires that are safe? recommended?

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
I don't expect too many places carry a huge selection of tires; They do go bad on the shelf, after all. Your local bike dealer can order you Duro tires from their aftermarket catalogues.
Duro Tire & Wheel > Tires > POWER SPORTS > MOTORCYCLE/SCOOTER > CLASSIC
I can't say how well they work on 2 wheels but I have HF308s on the front & sidecar wheels of my 'Wing and I like them enough that when the front wore out I bought another...

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts
Universal tire has an dealer in Hawkesbury Ontario.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a good thing no one carries them they are awful dangerous poser tires

Members here that have bought them have removed them

Pm member flying elvis he had some
I have them on one of my CX's... They look good but really suck ass when riding.

They are so exspencive and so bad... When im done with fork swap and bought a set of rear set from J-rod I will change the tyres again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have some Pirelli Route 66 tires on an old 750, they are not pure vintage but have a vintage look... safe, classy and not so expensive...prob have sizes for the CX...

Bob, tires don't go bad on the shelf... the wrap or coating and being out of the sun without pressure takes care of them... Most manufacturers will back this on the record...

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
I have seen old tires that had cracks inside the wrapping. And most manufacturers say not to use a tire more than 5 years old. Also, most places have fluorescent lights and most of them emit UV (the part of the light that causes rubber to deteriorate) at levels equal to or even in excess of the sun at noon.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Five year test. Put a brand new pencil in a bag to cover the eraser. See what it looks like in five years. May look new, but try the eraser.....ha!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Unfortunately in the business world today, too many use anything to increase sales... a tire's condition is a function of care and exposure... rubbers do not last forever like plastics so there is a life expectancy but that range is wide and variable... even when someone says their motorcycle was always garaged, but they rode it to work everyday- then the bike sat outside in the sun all day long everyday... with dates placed on everything (in the US), then marketing folks tie campaigns to them to increase sales... I know too many people that don't think for themselves and look at these dates and just take them for science. That is wrong. Milk will go bad before it's date if left out to warm up, it will also last long past it's date if kept cold more, longer, or if left unopened longer... This is a good analogy for tires... They are not made to order or upon ordering but mass-produced at numbers justified by sales projections. Then they are shipped, stored in warehouses, distribution centers, etc... You can examine tires and ascertain their condition with knowledge of how they were cared for... that is a key part, without that knowledge, lean more toward the norm... The pencil erasure analogy is good but you also need to realize that small items dry quicker and hold less moisture. It is also a different compound. It will illustrate what happens in theory but not exactly... Use the same eraser and it last longer if used versus if left to sit... I grew up in a time when nothing had a date, you had to use your head...

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
Yes, but if a dealer has tires in stock they are usually on display on a rack in a well lit area with the wrappings removed. That would be OK if they sold a set of those particular tires every few weeks but I am sure some of them sit there for a year or more.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't expect too many places carry a huge selection of tires; They do go bad on the shelf, after all. Your local bike dealer can order you Duro tires from their aftermarket catalogues.
Duro Tire & Wheel > Tires > POWER SPORTS > MOTORCYCLE/SCOOTER > CLASSIC
I can't say how well they work on 2 wheels but I have HF308s on the front & sidecar wheels of my 'Wing and I like them enough that when the front wore out I bought another...
Those look pretty good, price compared to the Firestone's especially looks good. Though, hard to tell if this site has good pricing or not, really... doesn't seem to matter what I click, it's on sale and out of stock. I'm starting to think half the site is just for show. :S

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/duro-hf-327-front-tire.html

Going by memory, I think my '79 CX500 Standard takes 100/90-19 on the front and 120/90-18 on the rear.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya... you better....

:disappointed:

Kidding of course. Seemed pretty unanimous to avoid the vintage Firestones... but if anyone knows of any other vintage styled tires that are good but not crazy priced, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
15,211 Posts
OK.

THR: Call your dealer and get him to do the legwork. It is worth cultivating a relationship with a good parts guy. The guy I deal with has told me several times that he was looking something up for someone else and noticed something he thought I might like. And even if you have to drive for an hour to go see him if he can find you what you need in a few minutes (including calling the warehouse to check on price & availability) that could save you several hours of searching online, not to mention that if you order from the dealer they pay the shipping and if something goes wrong they deal with it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, funny about that... we have 1 motorbike dealer here and I gave up trying with those guys.

Went to their site, they listed a battery (Shorai) but said to email for pricing, I emailed and over a week later I get a reply saying they don't sell those batteries. On their site, but, sure whatever. Emailed back asking about an AGM battery for the bike, never heard back. Went in the other day to look around, never seen so much dust, it was really layered on... looked around for 30min, trying on helmets to figure what size I need... 4 guys working, none offered any help. Went to the counter to ask about vintage tires, they said it's nothing they carry, asked about Honda parts in general (ie the thermostat) and said should try the Honda dealer.

I'll try one of the bigger ones in London, but, lots of websites out there with free shipping these days... I have a lot of downtime at work so, seriously, I need to research stuff just to pass the time. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts