Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! It was a long and arduous journey. First, props to Murray for providing complete kit and guidance. He is very responsive to PM's, emails and phone. I used all three! :D This has to be in the top 3 upgrades. Cold hard starts are GONE! Idle is rock solid and the motor returns to idle promptly. The smooth response and quick rev's have to be witnessed to understand. Looking forward to riding some long country roads.

Some thoughts if you are considering this upgrade for a GL:
1. tight fit. unlike the CX. one of the pods has to be turned up and the other down to get them between the frame rails. you have to twist and turn the carbs in small increments to get the best fit and keep the top vertical as possible.

2. you got to always be thinking of how to keep the throttle cable free of excessive bends. no tight turns. Murray was able to direct me to run it over the top of headlight and under instruments and then straight on to the throttle switch.

3. keep the cables as loose as possible and make sure they don't bind in the gas tank channel and frame rail.

4 this is not a knock on Murray but the hoses supplied are RIGID hard ass black 3/16 fuel line. you can get them to work, but the 1/4 colored flexible fuel tubing at NAPA is so much easier to work with when you are trying to have a sanitary looking install they tuck up out of the way. Murray says that legal advisor has told him to ship the 3/16 black line because it is "certified" or something like that.

5. that's it. it was a fun mod and it took time, but I try to only work on bikes for shorter periods of time now, versus "gotta get it done" attitude I used to have.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks again Murray. your fuel line is a "small" 1/4 inch :D and since these bikes are gravity fed that flexible colored fuel tubing is just as safe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I believe we all understand about the liability issue. I did not state that Murray should stop including the gates fuel line. I was just giving info about other fuel line options. Isn't that why forums exist?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got to thinking.... if Murray and OCR and I'm sure others are saying, "beware of colored flexible fuel line", then there must be more to it. I went out the next day to double check the connections and noticed a small dribble or two of gas and a strong gas smell. I began to check the hose clamps especially at the 3 way brass connector. Then I started the bike and you could tell there was an air leak and some more dribbles. I began to understand why I should have used the bates 1/4 hose that Murray includes in the kit. Two different kind of clamps would still not tighten down enough on that colored tubing to stop the small gas/air leaks.

My experience may not be yours, but I'm not using that stuff again... well, maybe on the lawn mower like Murray suggests.:D

Time to eat my words about promoting the colored flex line. Sorry if I steered anybody down that path.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did the Murray carbs this weekend on my GL500. Above comments helped a lot with the tripe frame rail routing. I am running into one other issue on the throttle cable having too much slack that is resulting in throttle play. I adjusted the cable but just not enough adjustment to get the play out. May call Murray tomorrow to see about switching to a quarter turn also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts