Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So gents, its been a few years since I've been on the site and happy to report that I'm finally getting to refurbishing the 650T, (#755).
Had wanted to refurb this bike already, but another bike (an 82 CBX) caught my eye a few years back, which I spent my time refurbishing this past winter and happily riding around this past riding season.

I'm starting off with the brakes, full caliper rebuild with new pistons, seals and also front and rear MC rebuilds.
Plan to do forks with new guides and sliders and fluid, refurb the trac system, new swing arm and steering stem bearings, and all electrical connector refurb as well.
I'm sure the list will grow, did hear something about a triple bypass, will need more info on this.

Will definitely welcome any other ideas from all you Turbo gurus on other items I should address, now that the bike is in disassembly.

Both bores on the Master cylinders are in great shape, thankfully.

Also had a bit of a leak out the fuel petcock, but this only happened once I opened the valve to drain the fuel tank, after having been shut off 5 years ago with a full tank.
Has anyone rebuilt the fuel petcock by drilling out the rivets, and adding two small screws to hold the plate, but more importantly getting a new rubber diaphragm that would fit.
Any fuel filter cannister recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help or input. Really looking forward to this rebuild.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
562 Posts
So, what is a Triple Bypass? This term has been attached the CX family for quite some time. The stator and chain can only be performed with the engine removed. There are three elements -

1. Stator replacement - This is clockwork event every 20k if not sooner.
  2. Water pump seal - The Achilles heal of the CX family.
  3. Timing chain and guide replacement. Average is 40k, but can be less.
If you follow the link at the bottom of my signature, you will get a VERY detailed with pictures rebuild of my entire bike, just skip to the engine bits and you will the info you need. Custom Rewind is the preferred stator source here in the USA.

Follow this thread, phone number is near the bottom(6) custom rewind thick green coated stator? | Honda CX 500 Forum

·
Registered
252 Posts
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch for the leads, have been reading up on some of the wiki's as well, great info here.

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Progress so far,
Cleaned up the contacts on the ignition switch, forgot to take final pic.
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

All brake calipers cleaned up, ready for new seals and pistons.
Front and rear master cylinder cleaned up, bores are in great shape, new kit ordered.
Front and rear wheel bearings removed, have the new deep groove bearings, but may get the rims powder coated gold, love the look of the gold wheels.
Fuel petcock is rebuilt, great instructions on above link. Used M3 x 10mm stainless button head cap screws.
Revolver Gas Font Gun accessory Wood

Front forks are apart, have new upper and lower slider bushings, Trac system completely cleaned out with small orifices fully open. Need to clean up the forks, previous owner(s) left them scratched up a bit. Hate when sensitive parts are not protected when apart.
Tool Cylinder Cable Auto part Wire

More to come.

·
Registered
1982 CX500TC, 1969 Royal Enfield Series II Interceptor 750, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT
105 Posts
Looks like you're going to need new bushings too.
If the chrome is pitted or badly scratched I recommend hard chroming the tubes.
Not expensive and it will never wear out!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Post #3.

Why would you replace a stator every 20k just for the kicks? Wouldn't it be just prudent enough to measure and track the resistences every now and then and act on those? A lot of wasted money and time and effort otherwise replacing a fine working stator.. ? I've said it before, but i'm 90k miles here on original stator and CDI system- Obviously not Turbo model, but it's still going. I'm curious to see how long it does last.

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pic above is after I pulled the forks out of slider tubes.
Strangely enough the upper bushings are available from Honda dealer, yet the lower slider bushings are not, so had to do an eBay order for the lowers.
The scratches are mostly on the upper part of forks, not the working end, luckily.
Good advice on the rechroming. Will look into this.
Don't know the history of my bike at 52k kms, and now that I've gone this far, dropping the engine to get at the stator is not a big deal.
True enough about the stator replacement intervals. Same thing on my 86 GL1200, stator has been there since I bought the bike well over 10 years ago, and working just fine, although I did the hard wire repair to get rid of the connector that has a tendency to overheat and melt causing stator failure.
Before I bought the bike, I asked the older gentleman if he replaced the stator during his ownership, he thought I was asking about the starter, so I had my answer, made me chuckle.

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm assuming the rims are made of Aluminum?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
83 CX650 Turbo
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the side stand off the bike to see why the bike leans over so much.

Is the curvature shown in the pic normal or has it opened up?
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Tool Bumper

Also the U shaped opening is also worn contributing to excess lean, it was quite difficult to remove the bolt, as the thread opening is not square to the other face. The bolt was not worn, although the lock nut was mostly stripped.
Can I get heat on this U shaped opening and bend it back to position in a vise.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Wood

·
Registered
252 Posts
Post #3.

Why would you replace a stator every 20k just for the kicks? Wouldn't it be just prudent enough to measure and track the resistences every now and then and act on those? A lot of wasted money and time and effort otherwise replacing a fine working stator.. ? I've said it before, but i'm 90k miles here on original stator and CDI system- Obviously not Turbo model, but it's still going. I'm curious to see how long it does last.
the triple bypass is more of an initial service procedure than a repeated one. the TI stators are generally still in good shape after 40 years--the cdi ones, not so much. the stator replacement is aimed at the cdi bikes due to the failing coils that are specific to the cdi system. chains are the big wear point, and the mechanical seal is critical to the health of the bike.

if i ever owned a cx/gl long enough to warrant another chain replacement, i will be changing those two, and checking the stator before buying another.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
562 Posts
Took the side stand off the bike to see why the bike leans over so much.

Is the curvature shown in the pic normal or has it opened up?

Also the U shaped opening is also worn contributing to excess lean, it was quite difficult to remove the bolt, as the thread opening is not square to the other face. The bolt was not worn, although the lock nut was mostly stripped.
Can I get heat on this U shaped opening and bend it back to position in a vise.
These bikes are notorious for the large lean angles often complained about. There are several possible causes, some of which overlap. I suspect the stand itself is not bent in the major section. The flange is opened up which contributes for sure. This is often caused by tie strapping the bike down on the side stand, not the center stand during transport. Another silent contributor which is not so obvious is the tire sizes themselves. Many riders including myself go with taller tire sizes than stock which while giving better ride characteristics, make the bike taller- and the kickstand cannot compensate. If this becomes the case, many weld a block to the bottom of the stand foot and call it a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts