Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Finally joined the club

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  kingston73 
#1 ·
Well it happened yesteday on my way home from work. Was entering an intersection and a fool in a pick-up started to turn left in front of me. I hit the brakes, but since I was still leaning from the turn the front wheel came out and I slid about 10-15 feet across the intersection. Bike is fine with some scratches on the fairing and saddle back reflector and wind screen cracked at bottom, but everything else was fine. My right shoulder is pretty sore as that must have hit the pavement first. Phoenix jacket is a little frayed at the shoulder, but fieldsheer overpants are perfect. Shoulder should be fine in a few days, but is pretty painful now.

Anyone selling a fairing?

#4 ·
I did this once right after having a new front tire mounted. Being in a hurry to get home before it started raining I had not scuffed the new tire... and when it started to mist... the A hole in the PU pulled out into the middle of a 8 lane intersection and stopped right in front of me sideways... running the red light as he "thought" it was turning green for his turn lane... The front slid out, I did a face plant, and the bikes rear wheel was a foot or so under the bed of his RAM crud truk.

results: new brake pedal, and a sore wrist. I let the SOB ( delivery driver for ford dealer) promise to buy me a new pedal and did not call the law. ( a motorcycle accident here automatically gets an ambulance dispatched, i was not injured and did not want to waste Emergency responce resources) He never did... I hope that time wounds this heel one day... Yeah Arch B., thanks for the lesson, I'll never forget it.. I will not ride on new tires in the rain nor ever let a cager ride off without talking to Mr(s) Silverstar first...

I guess my point is, I was somewhat complicit. somewhat stupid and totally lucky... Lucky to chalk up another non lethal bout with gravity and live to talk about it. I have always practiced evasive steering and braking and try to remain vigilant. The beginning of holidays here has the idiots out in full force, and after the last couple days of close calls. ( at least three cars have either pulled out or turned in front of me... I always try to expect it and avoid it before they do it ) I'm thinking of parking until '11... Naww
It's a dangerous world and I'll just try not to hang out around the bull's eye

Glad you are OK, I hope your friend fool in the Pick Up was given an invite to a court proceding.

#5 ·
I have a feeling he saw me at the last minute and stopped but at that point it was to late for me. At least he helped me push the bike into a parking lot. After taking inventory and dusting myself off it fired right up. I didn't bother with a police report as I can't say it was clearly anyones fault, and insurance isn't going to do anything but raise my rates. Had the damage been more extensive or I was hurt more I would have called for the PoPo. Mark it up to a lesson learned and hope its the last time my butt and bike separate like that. Nice to know my gear saved my hide though.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident. It sounds like the gear did its job well, though, if the injuries only amount to a few days of soreness.

The bike has been back on the road for just a short time after all the work you put into it. That has to be frustrating. How badly was the fairing damaged, since you're looking for another one?

#7 ·
Well the wind screen is cracked along the bottom and a little roughed up on the right side. I already needed another one due to all the holes the previous owner drilled for gauges and it had some cracking around the turn signals. Actually I was more impressed that it started right up like nothing happened. At least the damage is cosmetic and really not that bad. Could have been a whole lot worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.