Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to get my new GL 500 from Crash on Saturday. I had a lot trouble finding a mode of transportation to pick it up. Then I mentioned it at our CMA meeting Tuesday night and one of my friends there told me he has a utility van and that we should be able to get it in there. Guess I should have mentioned to those guys sooner. Oh well, at least I am finally getting it. Woo Hoo, very excited to get it.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
It always pays to have friends.

I have also had some good luck lately with things I didn't mention to ask about.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I finally got the new bike yesterday. It was about a 6 hour round trip with stops. Got home around 5:30 in the evening. It was a good trip though. Very excited about getting it up and running. I was going to wait until tomorrow to start working on it, but I just couldn't wait. I got the seats and tank off today as well as changing brake pads on both sides. I want to check the electricals and change plugs tomorrow so I can fire it up and see how it runs. I've got some pics I'll try to get posted later tonight after Church service.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics of the initial parts removal. I also replaced the brake pads on both sides. The old ones still have some life in them, so I am keeping them just in case.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Here are some pics of the initial parts removal. I also replaced the brake pads on both sides. The old ones still have some life in them, so I am keeping them just in case.

With your brake lever sticking like is shown in the photo I would definitely rebuild both the master and the calipers in addition to putting on new pads.

Other than that the bike looks really nice ... I just wish I lived closer when it went up for sale.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David, there isn't any brake fluid in the reservoir yet. I might get to it tomorrow, but first I need to figure out how to reconnect the throttle and clutch cables.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Even without fluid the lever should return to the proper position. Also, looking at how brown the reservoir is, the master probably needs a good cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Yeah you probably want to take the MC off the bike and clean it. As said the handle should be pushed out. It's probably stuck. But if you take the brake line off you can push it back with a wooden dowel.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going out to work on the bike after lunch. I may be back for help, we'll see. I am building up my confidence as far as wrenching on the bike. Yesterday was the first time I have ever changed brake pads on a bike and I had no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O.k., I got the brake lever working, but I am in need of assistance with connecting the throttle and clutch cables. Anyone got pics for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Clutch cable should be easy, match to your other bikes, pictures of throttle, I'll try to get you some tonight or tomorrow night if somebody else doent beat me to it. I'm working late today.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My confidence is building. I got the clutch cable installed today and everything seems to be working. Are there any specs or guidelines as to proper installation? Or is it a if it works you got it right kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your clymer should give you proper adjustments. Sorry I haven't got pictures of the throttle cable hook-ups yet, I'm working on it.

Whenever you get time. It's kinda cold in the ol garage right now and I have lots of other stuff to work on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.