Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding my bike and want to address my leaking final drive problem. For as long as Ive had the bike a small amount of oil leaked from the bottom of the unit. After I changed the oil it seemed to get worse...ALOT worse. Like within a week or so of doing the change the leak went from a slight residue on the bottom to oil sprayed all over my rim. So Im assuming I over filled it but I was wondering if there is/are seals in the unit or on the rim side I could replace. My manual says I should take the unit to a certified honda dealership for proper service but it says that about everything.

Here are some pictures of it after I pulled the rim. The grease could pass for mud.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi,

If you overfilled it (170 cc!) excessive oil should have come out (mist/drops) from the final drive vent (on top).

There is a large oil seal and an O-ring in there that may be bad. #25 and 29 on picture. It seems that these are hard to get now. Also - it´s not unique that the bearing cage on the large bearing (# 21) starts to break up. It´ll take out the oil seal (# 25). The bearing itself is NLA (and was rather expensive - > $ 100).

You CAN replace everything inside there, but there is some shimming (# 11) that should be done if you´ve replaced the main components. If you only replaced oil seals and O-rings you should be able to do without re-shimming. Take reliable notes on how things were sitting.

Easiest way would probably be to get a used final drive from a boneyard/wrecker. I have a bunch in a corner of my garage. Good to have...

Sture

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I second Sture's recommendation to look for a replacement drive. The splines are also showing significant wear.

Most likely the mating splines on the wheel flange are in similar shape.

Ebay is another good place to look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent even cleaned it up to look at the condition of the splines but im sure they aren't great. This unit has over 50k on it. Ive got a unit on the donor bike with only 12k so ill just use that unit and the wheel drive portion also. Probably take this one apart just to see if I can find what failed. I didnt realize how many parts are in the rear end!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Sture and Dave's advice is spot on. The failed part is likely to be the large o-ring. When you mount the "new" final drive, leave the three driveshaft tube bolts less than tight until everything else is tightened, then loosen them a bit and torque them up last to prevent "building in" any unwanted mis-alignment stress. Only fill to the bottom of the side (fill) plug hole, don't fill thru the top vent hole. Honda moly grease (special and costly) or it's equivilant should be used on the wheel and hub drive spline set. The moly content wants to be very high, more than 50%, equivilants are rare, many greases say "moly fortified", but 4-6% is common and inadequate. Do this whenever you change the rear tire. The previous owner probably did not . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.