Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after driving now 750km with my bike, i noticed yesterday a major problem : a small leak in the final drive...
there was some oil spilled on the right side of my rear wheel, which is off course dangerous. The oil is leaking at the underside of the final drive. I inspected the oil level and it still is correct (underside of the inspection hole with bike on centerstand).

i started looking at the forum for a solution and it seems that repairing the seal of the final drive is really difficult and almost impossible without the proper special tools for reassembling.

however I found this link on the internet from Randakk Lucas Hub Oil
i can buy this oil in Belgium, but I wondered if this really could work. any ideas?

thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
I did not replace the finale drive hear oil. The only thing i did not do :D

I assume it is the correct oil

The Lucas Hun oil should ben thicker so it van stop leaks

Tom

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi Tom,
Check for metal particals in your oil , if yes,second question, have you had rear wheel off? The Spacer tube between the wheel and final drive can be over tightened and cause bearing failure on the big bearing next to the wheel which takes out the seal. My 82 Silverwing had a too short of a tube and took out two bearings before a dealer in Fort Bragg, California figured it out(too long of a story). Must remember to measure mine next wheel removal final drive has over 150,000 kms still quiet and leak free. For a mechanic the final drive is easy to overhaul compared to the engine , that big bearing maybe hard to buy these days .

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you using synthetic gear oil? Sometimes oil seals will leak with synthetic oil but will seal back up when conventional oil is used.
totally agree-in another thread I pasted a response from one of Australia's oil blenders indicating possible issues with syn.oils & older seals-which most drives will contain....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The final drive can be fix without hondas special tools , made my own last time.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Can you supply details on the tools that you made please.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Honestly, no, have'nt rebuilt one in thirty years. The part that needs a "special tool" is the seal which memory serves me was a pipe, big enough to press the seal back in straight (and a hammer). A cheap seal driver set would be a good investment, and forgive me the bearing was removed with a bearing puller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts