Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just split my Final drive, due to large amounts of sludge in my new found bike. I disassembled everything for soaking and cleaning, and am curious about other peoples experiences. When I removed the Ring gear retainer, I marked the orientation with two small punch marks. When I retorque everything, I'm assuming that the preload should be close when I torque to the marks?

Any experiences, or any input?

Thanks guys!

(1981 GL 500)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just split my Final drive, due to large amounts of sludge in my new found bike. I disassembled everything for soaking and cleaning, and am curious about other peoples experiences. When I removed the Ring gear retainer, I marked the orientation with two small punch marks. When I retorque everything, I'm assuming that the preload should be close when I torque to the marks?

Any experiences, or any input?

Thanks guys!

(1981 GL 500)

You need to tighten that ring gear bearing retainer to a specified torque of 29 ft-lb, then back it off and re-torque to 7 ft-lb pre load . These torque values are in addition to any torque needed to overcome the friction from the o-ring. I used a 4" metal electrical ceiling box with an old socket brazed onto it as a "wrench" so I could use my torque wrench to turn the bearing retainer. I put the corner screws in the box backwards to engage the teeth in the ring gear bearing retainer.

The thread of my final drive adventure is HERE

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to ask: Have you ever removed the front input pinion to check both bearings? After washing out both haves, I now notice a slight noise from the 'rear' bearing behind the bevel gear. (in the housing assy)

Press fit maybe, requiring the whole pinion and race to be removed?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I forgot to ask: Have you ever removed the front input pinion to check both bearings? After washing out both haves, I now notice a slight noise from the 'rear' bearing behind the bevel gear. (in the housing assy)

Press fit maybe, requiring the whole pinion and race to be removed?

I never messed with the pinion gear. The complete final drive overhaul is in the manual. find it here link to manuals

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other bearings seem fine, but my pinion seems to have a dragging feeling in certain spots of rotation. It might have a few bad balls that are scored, or a warped retainer or housing.

Now time to find another unit, because I have no idea how to remove that pinion.

Anyone remove the front input stack up? Or just buy another whole drive?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts