Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am in the middle of rebuilding my brake calipers for the front wheel and I am almost done. I went to put the front wheel back on and spun it a few times just to make sure everything was fine. To my dismay, it wasn't.

It turns out the front wheel is rubbing against the back of the fender. I took the wheel off and then put it back on again just to make sure I wasn't doing anything incorrectly and I am almost positive I did it correctly. I checked where it was rubbing against the fender and noticed that a good portion of the fender had already been worn off. I have only ridden this bike once(granted it was from D.C. to Detroit) but my guess is that fender and front tire have been setup like this for a while now and it was not something that I did, seeing that this has been my first experience taking off this bike's tires, and the fender appears to show years of wear.

I got the bike a few months ago, from my uncle, who had sitting it sitting in his garage for ten years and he doesn't know that much about the history of the bike, so I have had to make some of my own conjectures.

I don't believe it is the original fender as it bears the part number 61100-MA1-000 and I have not been able to come up with anything helpful through google searches. The fender has also been painted black and I believe its original color was gold. Furthermore, it is apparent that the bike has been crashed at least once and so from those two pieces of evidence I have come to the conclusion that when the bike was crashed the fender was replaced. The owner decided against spending $100 dollars for a new fender(that is currently what part 61100-ME2-000ZB is going for). But got a used one that was 'close."

fender1.2.jpg

fender2.2.jpg

Please let me know what you think my next step should be. Here are my thoughts.

1. I am doing something wrong and need to learn how to line up an axle and two holes.
2. Cut off the area where it is rubbing(this is my favorite solution.)
3. Some how raise the fender up.
4. Buy a new fender(a new honda fender will costa bout $100, this is my least favorite solution.)

I appreciate the wisdom and advice from those here that have much more experience than myself and I look forward to hearing your comments.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
A step beyond Murray's suggestion.....

IIRC the fender is plastic. You could try a bit of heat from a heat gun with a reshape in mind. Be careful, you could blister the paint. Just want the plastic to become pliable, not melted. Make the shape for clearance, hold until it cools.

You prolly have the wrong size tire. 110 is too tall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply and for finding me a new fender. I actually just bought new tires and had them put on the rims professionally. To be honest, I have not heard the measurements you are referring to "110 90 19", but what I have in the honda shop manual, the front tire size is described as 3.50S 19-4PR. The tire I purchased was a dulop K70 3.50 19 as seen here:

Dunlop K70 Vintage Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

along with photographic evidence....

tire_size1.jpg

tire_size2.jpg

could it still be tire size? if not I am just going take your advice and raise the fender.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts