Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being a complete newb to the hobby, I custom ordered "carb rebuild kits' from the local bike shop. at $25.00 a pop, each comes with 2 gaskets, nothing more. Having told them it's a double carb, they got me 2 (x2) of these gaskets. Nothing else. Upon rebuilding today, I realized these gaskets are minimal what I could have got in a "kit" - and looking (now) on ebay, seems there are rebuild kits w/gaskets O-rings, float valve assembly, float needle, main jet and pilot jet, etc for +/- $50 on ebay (for complete)

now, being a "custom order" they probably won't take back the carb kits. So, basically, I paid $50 for 2 gaskets.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I think I would speak with a manager. That was a poor direction the staff sent you in. A shop should ask what you are doing and make some suggestions. Your order and "demands" are always the last word, but if you went in there and said "I'm rebuilding some carbs, do you guys have a kit?" and they gave you gaskets, well, that's just poor advice.

Sorry, I'd feel ripped off too.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It happens. If you don't know exactly what your talking about and talking to a person that knows what they're talking about who knows what could happen.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what you want.http://www.randakks.com/CX500 and Variants Page.htm

Add Larry's Carb book and you'll be running great in no time.

already got it, it's a great book. I got a progress thread ovr in tech help.

I think I would speak with a manager. That was a poor direction the staff sent you in. A shop should ask what you are doing and make some suggestions. Your order and "demands" are always the last word, but if you went in there and said "I'm rebuilding some carbs, do you guys have a kit?" and they gave you gaskets, well, that's just poor advice.

Sorry, I'd feel ripped off too.

It happens. If you don't know exactly what your talking about and talking to a person that knows what they're talking about who knows what could happen.

I know, it blows. I will go in tomorrow and say it like it is. what's extra-moronic is they could have sold me a complete kit (with all parts, jets, etc) and I would have paid more for that. This is what happens when you have a bunch of 18 year old kids selling bike parts I guess. usually takes 3 or 4 of them to even find the part/s I need from 2-3 books they order from. Bottom line, I'll tell the mng. that in my recent education and learning about the bike, I also know of another bike store nearby.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You AREN'T the first one something like this has happened to pertaining to these old bikes......

Just wait, one time you'll go in looking for a part and there eyes will just glaze over.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
i know. the dude was trying to convince me the bike was a Custom and it's clearly a Deluxe too..

WTF.

Oddly, I found this site (in case I have poor luck with the jets) strange how the ind. parts are expensive, yet a "kit" with almost all the parts is very cheap:

http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_kit_list_model.php?make=Honda&model=CX500

The one dealer I was going to and don't know thought it was a dirt bike. And then he argued over bowl screws. That was the last order I placed.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
You AREN'T the first one something like this has happened to pertaining to these old bikes......

Just wait, one time you'll go in looking for a part and there eyes will just glaze over.

Like when I went into the local Honda shop checking to see about a coil. Dude looked at me like I was a martian and used phrases like " Honda never made that bike" then " Never heard of it" then "oh it's discontinued" etc. First and last time I went there.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I had the best parts guy ever...

I just heard that the dealership actually merged with another here in NOLA... Garrett Honda and Boyce Honda are now "Honda of New Orleans" Anyone around here knowing Honda will tell you C. Jumonville is one of the best MC mechanics alive. And the Parts Man "Dennis Shenieder" is knowledgeable and help- full beyond the call of duty.

and yes Honda's list price for sometimes even a small gasket is exorbitant. Try a set of bowl gaskets for a 69 CB750

I usually get a decent discount which puts me on par with mail order shipping... the 9% sales tax here fubars that, but I'll usually pay for the convienience. Knowing these guys through many HONDA bikes, we have formed a relationship that Is priceless.

Now we have another dealer here specializing in fast sport bikes... They will never see me spending a cent on their supersportbikes when a trip to the parts counter takes 1.5 hours for their idiots to sell 4 spark plugs... takes all kinds...

You did not ripped off as good as the lesson learned I hope...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Like when I went into the local Honda shop checking to see about a coil. Dude looked at me like I was a martian and used phrases like " Honda never made that bike" then " Never heard of it" then "oh it's discontinued" etc. First and last time I went there.

I had a similar experience, although not a dealer. I went into a bike shop to look at covers and anything else of interest, I left after about 5 minutes. It was like being in a day care or teen center where the inmates had no supervision. I asked 2 very simple questions, when the recent post pubescent "manager" started reading a bunch of boxes to see if that's what I was talking about, quick thank you and goodbye.

Harbinger of things to come, the techs coming out of tech schools and such seem to have zero interest in anything older than last years model.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
you know it's really fun when the parts dept won't pay attention or is acting like idiots to go into the showroom and sit on the most expensive bike there... without asking, Look wobbly and like you might drop it...

When he comes running, tell the sales manager you will buy the bike, but need to get a "Gasket" first...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Although I live in the UK I've had fantastic service from GeorgeFix on USA Ebay and use his Carb kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HO...9653237QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just make sure you get the kit for either FULL plastic floats or Metal and Plastic.The Metal and Plastic ones have the small wire on top of the Float Needle valve

My 2 cents

Are these floats interchangable? The metal and plastic ones are easier to adjust (Or that is what I think at least). You can just bend the tabs to adjust the heights. On the plastic ones I don't think you can do that.

Mike

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Are these floats interchangable? The metal and plastic ones are easier to adjust (Or that is what I think at least). You can just bend the tabs to adjust the heights. On the plastic ones I don't think you can do that.

Mike

The floats are interchangeable as a pack e.g you must keep the Float needle Valves that match them but either the full plastic floats or the Metal and Plastic can be swapped between carbs.

You could even have the case of a full plastic set on one side and a Metal and Plastic set on the other so long as the correct FNV are used with each

Full plastic+ FNV with no spring on it

Metal and plastic with Spring on the end of the FNV.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Are you sure about that Shep? Cuz, I have the all plastic floats w/ springy-topped FNV's. I am the third owner of this bike and don't THINK someone did the "ol-switch-a-roony" on them. But, I could be wrong......

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Randakks is a bit high priced. Shop around and you'll be rebuilding your carbs much cheaper. 9/10 you can reuse all jets.

idk, you get what you pay for. The Randakks kit comes with a LOT of stuff. Only thing it doesnt have are floats and float needles, both of which rarely go bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.