Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a CX tank on my GL500, and was wondering how long the feed tube should be? i measured mine, and at 3 3/4", it seems like it would only take the top portion of the tank, leaving a big reserve. I like having a big reserve, but am curious if this is the standard length.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It's all custom. Different bikes have different carbs. The cx500's went with two different inlets. On in the center and one on the left side of the carb so exact length won't be known. Buy enough hose to make two in case you cut it to short. Hose is cheap.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think he is referring to the inside the tank "straw" height for the Main/Reserve feed. There seems to be a rubber or plastic sleeve looking thing at the bottom of that straw, and if that is leaking, it won't matter what height you set the straw at, cuz it will drain the tank dry anyways. I have noticed on a petcock I am working on (and assume most, if not all are the same), is that, that straw is off center, and SEEMS that either from age or ethanol (or both), that the "ring" that is SUPPOSED to seal the main FROM the reserve section won't slide over(and seal) where the straw goes into the body of the petcock.

...And I'll betcha a dollar to a donut that many who are expieriancing a "NO RESERVE" from their gas tanks, that that sleeve has hardened, or cracked or swollen, and will no longer seal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that too about my ring. I'll try and remedy that too to ensure my reserve will actually be functional.

I'm thinking that my feed 'straw' is just a tad high though, not sure though.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What I did on my project petcock was, pull the straw out (it was a pretty LOOSE fit), and slid that rubber sleeve off and examined it. THEN, I turned the straw upside down and had to force it on pretty hard, as it fit a whole LOT more snuglier than the original end was coming off. That rubber sleeve, after examining it, I put the best side (not that EITHER end was great.....lol) as well as I could place it against the petcock body. After scraping the ridge along the petcock body and the straw hole, I am SO glad that I didn't try to "center" that hole in the petcock, as I found that that ridge IS part of the body as well, and would have done damage (if NOT F.U.B.A.R.ing it) to the body itself, rendering it into "paper-weight" status...........

I found that I couldn't push the good side of the feed straw IN as far as it was originally, but, the seal that looks like is there NOW, will give me that reserve aspect back again.

I suppose one will have to place it as it should sit in the tank (externally though) and look-see how far down she'll drain before hitting reserve and trim accordingly.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I always cut down the straws to a point that I know. Say you have two bikes. One is a saggy sorry piece of slumping suspension and another one is jacked up with progressives front and rear. The angle that the tank sits in relation to the petcock straw will be different especially if it has a teardrop tank.

And that's why I always cut my straws down to hit reserve a 2.2 gallons on an early custom tank. With a later deluxe or gl I don't think I would even care as long as you know when the fuel reserve comes on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.