Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to remove the fan and replace it because it's loose and wobbles hitting the back of the radiator. I have the radiator off and used a long bolt to have the fan pop off. I get the bolt tight, incert a piece of wood through the fan and opening of the side of the bike to prevent the shaft from moving. I get the bolt tight, but I'm afraid to go too tight and have the bolt break off. Any suggestions? The engine is perfect and I ride my bike to and from work everyday. It's a great bike and I'm geting 45+ mpg. My van only gets 17mpg. I need my back back! Any suggestions? Thanks.

1979 CX500C

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You have the bolt inside the middle of the fan, catching on the inside threads of the fan only, right? If so, then give the bolt a few good whacks with a hammer and tighten some more, and the fan should pop right off.

Some info in this thread.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It should just "pop" off when tightening the bolt. Turn slowly, do you see it moving out at all? I just replaced the fan on my 79 a couple weeks ago and with the right bolt from ACE hardware it just popped off. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should just "pop" off when tightening the bolt. Turn slowly, do you see it moving out at all? I just replaced the fan on my 79 a couple weeks ago and with the right bolt from ACE hardware it just popped off. Good luck.

What size bolt did you use? I stop by the hardware store tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The bolt to extract the fan is a LOT bigger than the bolt holding the fan on, I believe its a 14mm 1.5 pitch and at least 2" long. I got one for $2.00 and it took 30 sec to get off a fan I was about to take a plasma cutter too

Sure helps when people give the info to do it the easy way .... I love this forum

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Maybe a bit of lubrication on the tip and threads will help the matter.

You are pulling the fan hub free of a press taper fit that's been together for a few years. It's going to take a bit of pressure.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Is the OEM fan boss tapped or untapped? I finally recieved my fan, and hope to replace it tonight. I am assuming it is tapped but just wanted to confirm.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
The inside of the fan hub is threaded for a 14mm x 1.5 bolt, so you can use the bolt as a puller. The bolt that "holds" the fan on is much smaller and does not touch the fan hub threads. Once you have a bolt the right size, thread it in and snug it up. Then give it a couple a wacks with a hammer (geltle wacks, not "driving in a large nail" wacks) right on the end of the bolt, tighten it up a bit more, wack again, repeat.

Mine was on so tight I broke 2 pullers trying to get it off (before I found the forum). I was at the point of plasma cutting it off, but then after being schooled in the "right way" on the forum I tried it. Screwed in the bolt, tightened it a bit and "POP!" it came right off without even having to whack it.

Note : you didnt say if the "new" fan you got is "new OEM" or a used fan. Make sure you check the new one REALLY carefully for any signs of cracking in the plastic especially near the metal hub. While a fan can look great, once you get up close you may find little radial cracks, and these can cause the fan to fly apart and trash your radiator. Your may be perfect, but just thought I would let you know its a good idea to check. Mine seemed fine but up close I could see the cracks where the plastic have gone brittle with age (30+ years), so I opted for a electric one instead.

Let us know how you make out, and if you have problems we are here

·
Registered
967 Posts
The inside of the fan hub is threaded for a 14mm x 1.5 bolt, so you can use the bolt as a puller. The bolt that "holds" the fan on is much smaller and does not touch the fan hub threads. Once you have a bolt the right size, thread it in and snug it up. Then give it a couple a wacks with a hammer (geltle wacks, not "driving in a large nail" wacks) right on the end of the bolt, tighten it up a bit more, wack again, repeat.

Mine was on so tight I broke 2 pullers trying to get it off (before I found the forum). I was at the point of plasma cutting it off, but then after being schooled in the "right way" on the forum I tried it. Screwed in the bolt, tightened it a bit and "POP!" it came right off without even having to whack it.

Note : you didnt say if the "new" fan you got is "new OEM" or a used fan. Make sure you check the new one REALLY carefully for any signs of cracking in the plastic especially near the metal hub. While a fan can look great, once you get up close you may find little radial cracks, and these can cause the fan to fly apart and trash your radiator. Your may be perfect, but just thought I would let you know its a good idea to check. Mine seemed fine but up close I could see the cracks where the plastic have gone brittle with age (30+ years), so I opted for a electric one instead.

Let us know how you make out, and if you have problems we are here

Thanks for the detail! I wasnt sure if the original was threaded or not, and was going to pick up an appropriate Tap on the way home if it wasnt. I will post pics of the process for sure. I have checked the new fan, and it looks pretty solid. The fan I bought is new from Honda...I guess they are made/produced still? I asked the dealer if these were new or if they were NOS 32 year old fabs...the plastic looks good, no cracks detected.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The fans are all recent manufacture. They are used for a bunch of other applications. If they only fit the CX, you can bet there wouldn't be any NOS left long ago.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well thats good to hear
Just grab a M14 x 1.5 2" bolt and you should be set. Its surprising how stuck on these things are, but a simple bolt and they pop off no problem

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazing!!!! Picked up a 14x1.5 bolt from our Do-it Yourself hardware store, came home and the fan just popped off!!! You guys are great. Kinda of embarrassing how easy it was. Took about 15 seconds. Picking up another fan tomorrow and I'll be back in business!! Thanks again to all of you for the help.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Amazing!!!! Picked up a 14x1.5 bolt from our Do-it Yourself hardware store, came home and the fan just popped off!!! You guys are great. Kinda of embarrassing how easy it was. Took about 15 seconds. Picking up another fan tomorrow and I'll be back in business!! Thanks again to all of you for the help.
good work.now paint that bolt green[or yellow
]and keep it with your tools,not thrown into the nut and bolt drawer

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've checked everywhere for a 14mm x 1.50 and can't find one. Borrowed one from Jonritz though. He has found that a Rotor Stud from a full size Ford Pick-up is a 14mm x 1.50...he ground the end to fit a 17mm Box Wrench.

Because of my frustration in trying to find a Metric Bolt at the local hardware, Home Despot, Lowes, Sears Hardware, Ace, True Value, and after hearing that a wheel Stud works, I went to Autozone just to see if could scare one up...tried a random Ford F150, 2001, they was like sorry I dont have that in stock...so I pushed a bit and asked if we could go back and take a look at the boxes of rotor studs...he shrugged his shoulders and said sure. So in about 45 seconds, 2.14 cents later, I now have one. They are tough steel too, 12.9 which is the equivalent of an SAE Grade-8.

Advanced Auto has Dorman as the supplier of their studs...drawer after drawer after drawer...ask to go take a look with em if you are having a tough time tracking down a bolt.

Didn't have time to pull it yet, ran some errands for church, took the kids swimming, watched a movie with the Mrs...the good stuff ya know?

Thanks Jon!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I've checked everywhere for a 14mm x 1.50 and can't find one. Borrowed one from Jonritz though. He has found that a Rotor Stud from a full size Ford Pick-up is a 14mm x 1.50...he ground the end to fit a 17mm Box Wrench.

Because of my frustration in trying to find a Metric Bolt at the local hardware, Home Despot, Lowes, Sears Hardware, Ace, True Value, and after hearing that a wheel Stud works, I went to Autozone just to see if could scare one up...tried a random Ford F150, 2001, they was like sorry I dont have that in stock...so I pushed a bit and asked if we could go back and take a look at the boxes of rotor studs...he shrugged his shoulders and said sure. So in about 45 seconds, 2.14 cents later, I now have one. They are tough steel too, 12.9 which is the equivalent of an SAE Grade-8.

Advanced Auto has Dorman as the supplier of their studs...drawer after drawer after drawer...ask to go take a look with em if you are having a tough time tracking down a bolt.

Didn't have time to pull it yet, ran some errands for church, took the kids swimming, watched a movie with the Mrs...the good stuff ya know?

Thanks Jon!
Jon,just check,if its a wheel stud...the end that goes in to the fan....MUST BE GROUND FLAT.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good to hear that the wheel stud would work. It seems that most places don't stock anything larger after M12. I had some luck at a local Fastenal store in my town. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it in a couple of days for a small extra charge for UPS shipping to their store.

Funny that the auto parts counter guys couldn't figure this out, but...now days if you don't have a part number, or they can look it up on the computer, they don't have a clue what's on the shelves in back.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,198 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts